• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle or Smoothie for squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can't decide on which to get for squirrels.Seems a rifle would be quicker loading but a smoothbore would probably make more meat.What do you prefer?

What do you prefer?

At least one of each. :grin:

These days I always take my .36 flinter when I go chasing squirrels. Mostly just because I really like the rifle. :thumbsup:

I can shoot farther with the rifle which is good late in the season when the leaves are gone. Hornady 000(.350) buckshot is cheap by the 5 pound box. Head shots don't wreck any meat. And I've never bit into a .350 ball accidentally.

On the other hand, a shotgun is better in the early season when the leaves are still on the trees and shots are quicker and closer.

Either way you go, it's all fun. :hatsoff:

with a shot gun it lets you take shots aiming above the horizon ,with a rifle i limit my shots to maintain a sure back stop

I'm lucky to have accumulated both a .40cal Flintlock rifle and a .54cal(.28ga) smoothbore Flintlock...IMO, both are excellent squirrel guns and I use both, switching off as the mood hits me.

But I tend to favor the .28ga with a load of #5's more than the rifle because of the versatility...might kick up a rabbit while squirrel hunting, etc...and like others have said, there are zero worries about shooting up in the air with shot loads...this is a GM .28ga barrel for the T/C Hawken stock.

IMG_0272Cropped.jpg

RB that's one of the nicest T/C guns I have seen...the critters just add to it.

:thumbsup:

All through the 90's I checked auctions almost daily and every now and then would run across a beautiful 1970's vintage stock...many of which were really top quality pieces of walnut like this one. PLUS...the /70's styles had longer LOPs which were helpful to me so whenever I stumbled across one I'd grab it...usually caplocks...then convert them to Flintlocks.

Problem Child said:
Can't decide on which to get for squirrels.Seems a rifle would be quicker loading but a smoothbore would probably make more meat.What do you prefer?

I hunt them mostly with a 40 caliber cap lock. This year only with a Smoothbore 20 guage both are big fun.

The rifle is more forgiving in being to far from the squirrel or as I learned to close! :shake:

:hmm: That said I think I will stick with the smoothbore.

Squirrels have been very safe from me over the last two seasons since I switched over to my .36 rifle from moderns. :wink: That'll change, but I always think,"Gee, I'd have 4 squirrels in my bag right now if I had a smoothie." :grin:

Yes, squirrels have deceptively small bodies if you overlook all the fur, the tail, the 4 legs, etc. I applaud those who make head shots at 40 and 50 yards...but I can't trust myself to do that consistently under hunting conditions.

My .28ga smoothbore is strong on squirrels with a load of #5s...the pair in the photo were taken off the same beech tree at 30 yards...reminds me of my youth on the farm when my first grown up gun was a shotgun. Hunted squirrels/rabbits/grouse/pheasants/doves with it for several years...and I guess taking me back to my roots a little is probably another reason I favor carrying the smoothbore more than the .40cal.

well this year i used both smoothbore and rifle. i used a t/c 45, 32 custom flinter,and double barrel 12 guage. I like both. if im going for a real challange i will use the 32 flintlock. if i want to just go out and enjoy the day i will use the shotgun,as i will usually find rabbits as well. but both are very good squirrel killers,and for me they have the same range as i cant hit a squirrel to far away with flinter yet lol.

Put me in the "both" camp. :grin: I love my little .32, but smoothbores are so much fun nobody should go through life without one. Or six.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I would say that you should have at least one of each, then you have to hunt twice as much to give each equal time in the woods. I have .36 and 12 ga.

Go with the rifle so that you're not biting down on shot pellets or bone fragments.

roundball said:
Yes, squirrels have deceptively small bodies if you overlook all the fur, the tail, the 4 legs, etc. I applaud those who make head shots at 40 and 50 yards...but I can't trust myself to do that consistently under hunting conditions.

If I hit one at 30 yards with my rifle I am dancing :grin:

20 yards for the smoothbore

I used to use a .40 or .45 for Squirrels but now only have two smoothbores to choose from for my hunting needs.I find I like the smootbore better due to its short range compared to a ball, and most of my hunting is in brush stuff where the critter may be running along a limb from tree to tree, it is much like wing shooting usually 5-10 yds out.I though I might regret not hanging onto one rifle but have yet found where I really NEED one.

Back