• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle primmers instead of perc caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinnz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a percussion rifle and the price of no 11 caps is just over the top where I live
:( , so I wondered about using rifle primers instead ,figure they would work , but how to hold them on the nipple , also guess a different type of nipple would be needed .. It must have been done before so my query is who out there has the good oil , and may like to come to my aid .. Kiwi2

There is something called Mag-Spark that replaces the nipple. It holds a shotgun primer rather than a rifle primer though. The way I understand it, the primer goes inside the thing and it screws shut. The hammer whacks the button that is on top and the force is transferred to the primer.

mag-spark.jpg

In Ned Roberts' book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle", he shows a diagram of such a device with instructions on how to build it. According to him, it is a much superior form of ignition and also dates at least as far back as the last quarter of the 19th century. :idunno:

S.kenton said:
Thats interesting...wonder where one can purchase this?
Now keep in mind, I have read about it and seen pics, but I have no personal experience with the device. The website I stole that pic from has a list of dealers here. If I remember correct, it runs in the neighborhood of $40.

That's a neat little gadget but like all neat little gadgets it probably requires some modification to the rifle, is inconvenient to load, prone to malfunction and easily lost especially in the middle of the woods.
I think when it's all said and done, the best bet would be to bight the bullet and buy caps locally or order in bulk.
$69.00 will buy you 1000 caps from Cabelas, haz-mat shipping included.

I just paid #60 for 1000 RWS from a Trader up at Bemidji.
Kinda high but I wanted those RWS. Other wise I see 4-7 per tin around here.
What's "over the top" where you live?

that thing sucks, my dad had one on a tc hawkin before the inlines came into play. After the shot it would take him a couple of minutes to dig it out with his pocket knife.I think i still have it somewhere.

Plus the shotgun primers cost twice (or more) than caps. Bulk cartridge primers may be cheaper. But you would have to machine your own adapter.

Ghettogun said:
Plus the shotgun primers cost twice (or more) than caps. Bulk cartridge primers may be cheaper. But you would have to machine your own adapter.

No they dont. CCI #11 cost me also $7 a can VS $2.99 for shotshell primers.

PreserveFreedom said:
There is something called Mag-Spark that replaces the nipple. It holds a shotgun primer rather than a rifle primer though. The way I understand it, the primer goes inside the thing and it screws shut. The hammer whacks the button that is on top and the force is transferred to the primer.

mag-spark.jpg

Thats an awesome set up but DO NOT order it for the spanish 6-1mm thread size. I had bought one many months ago and due to the machinist changing the design without the owner knowing, he actually weakened it greatly and the one i bought let go on me and ripped in half on the 7th shot. The other sizes should be ok but its something i would check with before ordering.

I hunted with a friend who had one do those things on his T/C Hawken back in the late 70's. What a PIA. It is winter time during our dear season here and with cold fingers, you have a hard time unpriming and repriming. Now drop the thing in the snow and your day is over. But, if you have your correct nipple with you, tools to change it and some perc. caps, your day is saved. If you have trouble and need a shotgun primer to light off your gun, you have other problems. Save your money, by not paying this gadget and just buy more perc. caps. JMHO

I bought a tin for $5 in Oklahoma last year. Up here in Canada they're $6.50 a tin even at $7 that's only 7 cents a shot. Please explain how that is going to break the bank? :shake:

Hi guys bulk buy works out to $10 per tin but I have to drive more than 200 miles one way , and with petrol at more than $200 per gallon that isn't good , Buy local and it is $17.50 a tin ,probably why I prefer flint ,my last flinter usually let me have 100 shots on one edge now that's economy .. Kiwi2

Back in the 70s there was an item called "FLAME AND GO" it used small rifle primers. also there was a kit called "TAP O CAP" made your own caps out of pop cans and toy caps???

Back then a tin of RWS was $1.50 per 100, and Dixie "EXTRA HOT" were .80 per 100. But then GEOX was about $4.50 a lbs? Those were the days!!!! ($4.35 per hour for a line welder?) :thumbsup:

kiwi2 $ 200.00 a gallon!! Where are you at, sub Saharan Africa, Antarctica, the Moon?? At that cost percussion caps would be the least of my problems.
Kiwi :hmm: New Zealand? Is a loaf of bread 100.00 US dollars?

ooooops , that should read $2.00 per liter, there are 2.5 liters per gallon , sooooo that's $10.00 per gallon . that's still makes it a lot to pay for a tin of caps added to the $100 if I could afford to buy ten tins when I got there .. Kiwi2

Maybe you should make your own caps with the little unit called tap-a-cap , it uses paper caps the ones you buy in the toy section at just about any store. Along with a paper punch an old aluminum can and some practice you are set. Want hotter caps? You just stick more paper caps in one little cup! By the way those nipples others have shown work good also if kept clean. Good luck and happy shooting :hatsoff:

Back