• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle/Shotgun Clarification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtharney

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some clarification as to a weapon. I think I've read about a 32 cal rifle/shotgun. Is there a 32 cal that shoots both PRB and shot, or did I just mis-read some posts somewhere. If there is, what is this rifle?

Mike

A rifle does a poor job with shot regardless of the caliber. If it's a double barrel (smooth/rifled) I haven't heard of it.

Some long arms were smoothbore but with the sights of a rifle. Good with a PRB out to 80 yards or so (a .32 might be 50 or 60 yards or so) and still able to use shot.

You're not going to get much shot!

Are you thinking of using a single pellet of single-ought buck or #1 shot as the ball? That works fine in a .32

I maybe thinking about a dragoon or pistol of somesort(?) I found on[url] possibleshop.com[/url] that will shoot PRB or shot. The rifle part was probably a misinterpted post I read, or misread.

Thanks for the clarification.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
There was, in the distant past, a 32 cal. or 32 gauge shotgun which achieved some degree of popularity in Europe, but it was a cartridge firearm. Caliber and gauge aren't interchangeable and I've forgotten which it was. I'm not aware of any 32 cal. muzzleloading shotguns. As stumpy said, it wouldn't hold much shot. There were and are combination guns, side by side and over/under, which are a rifle barrel and a shotgun barrel, but I've never heard or read of one in 32 cal. or gauge or as a muzzleloader, but, it seems too obvious for there not to have been muzzleloading combination guns.

Vic

A .32 can use one single piece of buckshot as the projectile. But a shotgun will let you use 10 or more .32 caliber bullets as one load.

There was the 9mm shotgun loved in europe. Only found in small shot sizes and they were long cartridges, around 3 inches.

Only .32 caliber weapons using shotgun style loading are useing a shotshell cartridge. Normally its a hollow plastic bullet containing birdshot intended to explode INSIDE the target. Or a a plastic tube containing 3 buckshot pellets, triple strike.

I noticed your post mentioned 32 cal, not .32 cal. In the old days, bore size (calibre)of rifles was often given as balls/pound but stated as calibre. eg. 32 calibre was 32 balls/pound or about .54 calibre. I hope this train of thought makes sense.

NHUNTER, me thinks ya may have cal & guage mixed up. I think you would get around 140 ball per pound in .32cal
Al

In the old days, bore size (calibre)of rifles was often given as balls/pound but stated as calibre. eg. 32 calibre was 32 balls/pound or about .54 calibre. I hope this train of thought makes sense.

I think you may be thinking of bore and not caliber as in a .32" bore being .32 caliber and a 32 bore being the equivalent of something between .45 and .50 caliber or 32 gage.

I finally made it back to[url] possibleshop.com[/url] and found the answer. It was a ML pistol kit, and the size was 10-20 ga that shot both ball and shot. Personally, I wouldn't want to be on the hot end of either.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a Trade pistol kit with a choice of 16, 20, 24 or 28 ga. It sounds like it would be a blast :crackup:, sorry for the pun, to shoot.

Mike

Well, the .28 ga should be about a .54 cal i think, so recoil shouldn't be an issue with it. Even with the .20 it shouldn't be too bad with pistol loads.

Yo all - just stuck my head round the door and had a look. Here's some figures for ya' -

10 gauge = .775" = 700gr
12 gauge = .729" = 583gr
16 gauge = .662" = 437gr
20 gauge = .615" = 350gr

Hope that helps...remember that gauge is equal to the number of ball of that diameter that weigh one pound [7000gr].

tac :grey:

Back