• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled Musket sighting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRoy3

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy gents.

I've been lurking for a long time. What I haven't been able to find out is how do you fellows that shoot the rifled muskets hold your sights? By that I mean when I shoot my Enfield at 50 and 100 yards I have to aim low to hit the bull, and this with the sight at its lowest setting. I know these rifles shoot high. Is there any way to correct this or do I just have to compensate?

Thanks.

what are you shooting and how high does it hit? i just went this route with my zouave.

Scalplock:

Authentic reproductions of Civil War rifles shoot high because the sights they replicate were designed to shoot high, to maximize the range at which a rifleman in the ranks would be likely to hit a man-sized target by aiming at the enemy's belt buckle.

In the North-South Skirmish Assn., we shoot these firearms with great success at clay-pigeon-sized targets at ranges of 50 and 100 yards using powder charges ranging from 35 to 60 grains of 2 or 3fg. We have solved this accuracy problem by installing higher front sight blades.

We file off the barleycorn-type front sight down to its base, if it has a base, or to the barrel if it does not. Then, if it has a base, we file a groove in that base and solder in place a new front sight of soft iron or brass about half-an-inch high, half-an-inch long and 1/16th to 3/16ths of an inch thick/wide. (If no base, we simply solder the new sight perpendicular to the barrel.)

This sight, when first fired, should place your point of impact BELOW the target. Elevation is then attained by filing, a little at a time, off the top of the new front sight and trial shooting until the point of impact raises into the target at your preferred sight picture -- 6 o'clock, center hold or 12 o'clock.

If you go this route, you will want to make or purchase a front sight protector, which is kept in place when the gun is not in use to protect the higher blade from side impacts that could bend it or knock it off. But actually, properly done, these front sight replacements are quite sturdy.

If you prefer to keep your musket with "original equipment," I fear your only solution will be developing advanced skills at "Kentucky" elevation. Lowering charges to compensate for a 12-inch elevation deficit would not be practicable. :imo: :m2c: :blue: :grey:

I'm using a Rapine Old Style 460 grain Minie with 60 grains of 2f or 3F. Off the bench at 50 yards it's hitting about eight inches high, more or less.

For now.......Why dont you put a little JB Weld on the front sight....just build it up a little and file it to shape a nice sight picture and fire it some.....It will give you a good idea how High you need your new sight to be.......That'll put you in the ball park.............Bob :grey:

Many people shooting open military sights align them such that the tip of the foresight is level with the shoulder of the notch for the back sight. This was (is) know as full sight. A fine sight is taken by having the tip of the foresight just visible in the bottom of the 'V' of the rearsight. Finally a half sight is taken by placing the point of the foresight midway between the shoulder and bottom of the back sight.

Contemporary British musketry instruction for the Enfield rifle states that the half sight was the usual method of aiming. Taking a shot on full sight will result in a high shot and on a fine sight a low shot.

So perhaps the oft noted fact that Enfield's shoot high is because rifle shooters are using the full sight rather than the half sight as originally intended?

David

David,

Thanks for the information. I will give that a try the next time out at the range. Since I'm a reenactor I don't want to alter my Enfield. If I had a second rifle I would replace the front sight with a taller sight.

:grey:

The leaf sights on my Richmond have a little "notch within a notch" that make taking a fine sight easier. I hold so that I can barely see the front sight within that small notch.

Scalplock: Thanks for asking this question. I've been wondering about this for some time. I have read that the sight picture for many of these muskets (and even the revolvers) was set about dead-on at 75 yards. My experience with the 2-band Enfield and 1860 Army seem to confirm this.

Dear Scalplock1845,I have two rifle-muskets,both Armisport.The first is an 1853 Enfield the second is a 1861 Springfield.I have had the most difficult time sighting in these weapons.I wish to hunt w/ them, however I am more accurate w/my smoothbore Brown Bess.I have tried different size bullets, finally settling on the Lee REAL bullet( not a minie bullet)suggested by a gentleman on this forum named Rat.I have tried different powdercharges. I was almost convinced the barrels were shot out during reenacting and was to replace them at great cost when I struck upon a thought.I could raise the front sight as has been mentioned,but wish to keep it original.I will soon be hanging a large bed sheet at 100 yards w/ an aimpoint marked on it.I will aim @ the aimpoint and fire for effect.I want to know once and for all time where these barrels are printing.Once having done that I will have some information to work w/ as to whether I need to work on sights,hold over or rebarreling,God forbid.Best Regards,Jack.

Yep.. a couple of us here in Ia have done the same as what papa bear mentioned.

File down original sight to the barn type mount. Then we ordered a new front sight from dixie gunworks.. part #ep1735 which is a dovetail sight. Took this sight to my welding buddy and had him build this one up to about half inch or so. We then filed in the dovetail back on the original barn shape that was left from filing(carefully), knoked the new sight in and begain sighting in.

Once we I had it where I wanted I peened it in, filed off the dovetail on each side that sticks out to make it flush. Then reblued. Without close examination you wouldn't think twice about mine being original. Just a little taller with original looking shape. :)

As of late I found this parts list for 1863 zouaves. It specifies a that a high fron sight is available. Here is the url to the parts page and am asuming you can order from them, part #zr-49s. If you try this route let me know. Currious what they send.

Lodgewood Manufacturing

Mines a tack driver now! :D

:blue:

Latest posts

Back