• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

robbed blind

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just plain nasty! Keep an eye out for your stuff on Craigs list, etc. to see if it pops up. Seems no matter where stuff is, it can walk off :cursing:

Years back, my great uncle had his cabin broke into. The only things they took were food and blankets, no damage. He kinda understood that one.

flehto said:
It's kinda odd that years ago hunting camps were safe from theft....no longer the case. That's a "cute" quote but isn't relevant to this modern time of ever increasing crime.

A total lack of consideration for other people is the norm nowadays....Fred
Actually Fred check out your state statistics...kind of interesting. http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/wicrime.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
RJ: Sorry to hear of it. I've "lost" treestands, game cameras, etc. Seems nothing is safe, even in the sanctity of private land or deep woods. :(

One time I sat a treestand in the evening. Left at dark. Came back in the morning in the dark...gone! At first I thought I was at the wrong tree, but the holes from my treesteps said otherwise.

Just kinda scanned the statistics because they would have to be studied in order to arrive at a conclusion....have better ways to spend my time. :grin:

Just not interested...but thanks all the same for the statistics.

Am presently 83 and in all those years have experienced theft of my property only 2 times and both times were when I was in the US Army {1952-1954}

As w/ most any group of people...there are thieves who hunt and judging from the increased number of thieves in the general population, hunters as a group also share in this increase.

Too bad that hunting camps are pilfered or worse, but that's just how things are nowadays. Hopefully, a camp "guard" won't be necessary...but you never know.....Fred

I'd set them up, and have some hidden cameras. I'd be relentless, cause the cops, probably won't put much effort into it.

hadden west said:
I'd be relentless, cause the cops, probably won't put much effort into it.

Try no effort. I had someone in NYC steal my credit card # and he ordered a bunch of archery equipment to be sent to Brooklyn. The owner of the archery shop got my phone # and called me to verify the order. When I called the NYC PD and tried to give them the info PLUS the name and address of the crook, the officer swore at me and said, "We have better things to do than f*** with this s***!"

I'm sorry, rj, it's a very helpless feeling. I bought a camper just for this reason, but if a person (creep) wants my stuff bad enough, even that won't help. I hope you find a satisfactory resolution.

I worry about this too. Doubly so because I'll be hunt in GA with Florida tags on the truck. I've heard about this happening to out of state camps a lot up in N Ga. Especially Cohutta. It's definitely impacted my plans over the last few years.

Patocazador said:
Skychief said:
Patocazador said:
I have known and hired both thieves and murderers.

What line of business are/were you in Patcazador? :shocked2:

They were farm laborers. It's hard to find people who want to work.

That's funny. My Grandfather did the same thing. When I was growing up there always seemed to be one or two recently released convicts (who always seemed to have killed someone) living and working on the (cattle) property. We also never had any cattle stolen by rustlers that I can remember, wonder if there's a connection. :hmm: lol

I remember one day working on fences with Harold (He looked, sounded and acted exactly like Red Fox), who was probably in his 80s back then when I was about 13 or 14. We were talking and I asked him about how he got locked up.

Me: So, Mr Harold, what happened that got you locked up

Him: I killd two men dat was robbin me

Me: wouldn't that have been self defense

Him:....Weeeeeeellllll, I killd dem da next day.

:doh: :rotf:

Great guy to have around. Grew up living in the woods and swamps. He taught me how to catch and cook up turtles. Worked there til he died.

Try putting up a sign that says beware of dog next to your camp. Worked for a buddy and myself once while camping on public land during deer season. We had to keep our description of the dog the same every time we would ask someone if they had seen our dog. :rotf: Nothing was messed with all week. Dan.

We put up a sign on the barn which reads,
" Attention burglar's, all items in house and barn engraved with owners drivers license number for ready identification by law enforcement.

Might be worth a try at your camp.

Cameras, get the black light type.

I have been known to put a note in my camp that says this (or variations on it).

"Bill, went to town for more ammo. I'll be right back. Only getting ammo for the SKS, since we seem to have plenty for the AR's"

Along with the mentioned sign, we put up signs at the gates which have the following "One thousand dollar reward for the arrest and conviction of anyone caught trespassing on this property.

Payment has been made.

Years ago (40) I bought about 6 window decals at a flea market that were bilingual in English and Spanish.
They said "If you come through this door, you will be killed!"

I had one on each door. One day the Sheriff and 4 deputies came out to search the whole area for an escaped convict. When he saw the sign on the door, he bummed the rest off me for his house.

hadden west said:
I'd set them up, and have some hidden cameras. I'd be relentless, cause the cops, probably won't put much effort into it.

If you put up cameras, use a ladder and put them out of reach. Then take the ladder with you or hide it, or they might steal the ladder and the camera. I had a ladder stand stolen several years ago. I had my name engraved in every piece of metal and burned into the wood under the seat, so that the thieves would know who they stole it from. I hate a liar and a thief. One steals your things and them other steals your confidence, sometimes both at once.....Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story. Reminds me when my dad was away in the army my Mom hired an old black man to help on the farm. He would come to work in the early morning, eat lunch with us and tell stories. I asked one day if he liked to hunt. He said "no" I don't like guns. Why???? Well I was once hunting ground hogs along the railroad tracks and thought I saw one, fired and killed a man picking blackberries. Never liked guns after.

Back