• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rose Damascus Dueling Pistol Set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I’ve been an avid gun collector for years that is now just taking a leap of faith into a subject matter I do not know much about. I’m looking to make my first purchase as I have found a really nice set of dueling pistols with barrels that are rifled and unscrew. The barrels also seem to be made of rose Damascus steel. I cannot find any engraving as to manufacture. The only marking on it I can’t make out. Sorry that I’m no help at all. I have included pictures I have taken so maybe someone on here can help this rookie out please. Thanks a lot for taking the time to look at my post.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0893.jpeg
    IMG_0893.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
So what you have there is not a pair of dueling pistols. Paired pistols were not always for duels, and by the caplock era these would be too small.

They are a pair of gentleman's self-defense pocket pistols. Screw barrels work by removing the barrel and filling the chamber, then placing a ball over the opening to the chamber to seal the chamber, and finally screwing down the barrel. The ball is then forced onto the rifling when the pistol is fired, swaging it onto the rifling and giving it pretty good accuracy, BUT as you can see there are no sights on the pistols so they are meant for "up close and personal use", not dueling at 20 paces, etc. This action by the ball when fired allows a split second for pressure to increase, and so such pistols generally were know to hit very hard and be quite lethal.

The pistols have no trigger guards and the triggers will go flush with the action because they are intended for a pocket on a coat or waistcoat. The triggers will engage and remain deployed when the pistol is at full cock, and there are two pistols because a proper gentleman would not trust his life to a single pistol incase of a misfire, AND..., shoot an assailant once, and his partners can see there is a second pistol in the other hand, OR if the first shot doesn't quite knock down a lone assailant, you have a second shot for the coup de grâce.

LD

Last edited:
Hi,
As LD wrote, they are not dueling pistols. Moreover, the case is a later addition and not particularly of very high quality. I suspect the pistols are inexpensive Belgian exports from the mid 19th century.

dave
So even though they are made of rose Damascus steel you would say that they are inexpensive? Just wondering as I’m considering buying them but don’t want to purchase a knockoff of sorts or reproduction.
Hi,
As LD wrote, they are not dueling pistols. Moreover, the case is a later addition and not particularly of very high quality. I suspect the pistols are inexpensive Belgian exports from the mid 19th century.

dave
Thanks for your input as well.

So what you have there is not a pair of dueling pistols. Paired pistols were not always for duels, and by the caplock era these would be too small.

They are a pair of gentleman's self-defense pocket pistols. Screw barrels work by removing the barrel and filling the chamber, then placing a ball over the opening to the chamber to seal the chamber, and finally screwing down the barrel. The ball is then forced onto the rifling when the pistol is fired, swaging it onto the rifling and giving it pretty good accuracy, BUT as you can see there are no sights on the pistols so they are meant for "up close and personal use", not dueling at 20 paces, etc. This action by the ball when fired allows a split second for pressure to increase, and so such pistols generally were know to hit very hard and be quite lethal.

The pistols have no trigger guards and the triggers will go flush with the action because they are intended for a pocket on a coat or waistcoat. The triggers will engage and remain deployed when the pistol is at full cock, and there are two pistols because a proper gentleman would not trust his life to a single pistol incase of a misfire, AND..., shoot an assailant once, and his partners can see there is a second pistol in the other hand, OR if the first shot doesn't quite knock down a lone assailant, you have a second shot for the coup de grâce.

LD
I really appreciate your very informative answer. You’ve put my far along in my search as to what they are. So Thanks a lot!!

LD
Is there a particular term used to describe these types of self defense guns?

Hi,
Yes, they are called "turn off" or "screw barrel" pocket pistols. They were made to carry in the pocket not in a traveling case. Belgian makers turned out thousands of pattern welded barrels and put them on all manner of guns from expensive first class to relatively inexpensive guns made for the trade or to sell in hardware stores. Indeed, on these guns the barrel blank for a more expensive arm may have been longer than needed so they used the cut off sections to make the pistols. The engraving is the give away about quality. It is not particularly fine.

dave

If you are really wanting a cased set of dueling pistols there are quite a few that always pop up on auctions. I have always wanted a set and so I bought them a few year ago. Shot them both and they were very accurate and a hoot to shoot.

Now they are simply displayed in our 4 seasons room. Lucky that my wife is very tolerant.

Fleener

I have seen some Greener and RIgby sets that I would love to own, however they came with a very large price tag.

Fleener

AGREE with all above. Unless these are relatively inexpensive, price wise, I'd pass and save your money for something of better quality.

This is a set of German made dueling pistols. They are $3K.

Attachments

• dueling1.jpg
    dueling1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
You have your answer from all the above. Definitely NOT dueling pistols.
In general, real dueling pistols were smoothbores, usually in the .50 - .56 (decimal system - I was never taught metric) caliber range, and usually without a rear sight. Similar to dueling pistols are the target pistols which do have rifled barrels and full sights. Of course, this is not to say that target pistols were never used to fight a duel. But you know that just wouldn't be sporting, old chap.

Latest posts

Back