• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball and Patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Mule

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK on the patch and round ball how do you know which to use. I have 50 cal so do I use .490 or .495 does the patch and ball have to equal a certain measurement? And does the patch have to be wet greased or whatever?

You can use either ball size and the patch thickness will vary by ball. You should probably try combinations where the patch thickness ends up 0.005 to 0.015 (0.020) oversize with respect to the bore (i.e. - 0.490 ball and 0.10 to 0.015 thick patches = 0.510 to 0.520). The patches should be lubed with something, e.g. spit, Crisco, olive oil, lard, some commercial lube or another, etc. (ad infinitum).

Your best bet is to try several powder, patch, ball and lube combinations until the gun tells you what it likes...

Hmmmm :hmm: How best to answer this one? Actually, you will need to try the various combinations to find out what your gun wants. What mine likes may not be what yours wants. Having said that, I think I'd start with the .490 balls and a .015 to .018 patch. Lube is one of those things that is always argued about but I think I'd try a patch with just plain old spit on it. It is cheap and you have a nearly endless supply. To prepare your patch material, wash it in detergent with no softener. If you use a drier to dry it, do not use any of those little fabric softener towlettes because they leave stuff in your patches that you don't want. If you pre-cut your patches, as you are loading, just put one in your mouth and let it absorb some good old spit. If you cut your patches at the muzzle, just put the end of the patch strip in your mouth to moisten the end of the strip that you are going to use. You want it just damp not soggy when you load it. The .018 spit patch with a .490 ball and about 50 grains of 3f will make an excellent starting point. Try adjusting your powder up in 5 grain increments until you find the charge that gives you the tightest group. You will need to shoot about 3 targets with 5 shots per target with each charge. Be sure to mark each target with the amount of powder you used so you can keep your targets straight. Then go up to the next charge. When you have reached about 80 grains, compare your targets to see which charge gives you the tightest group. I doubt you will need to experiment with your patch thickness. For your patch material, I recommend a fabric called "pocket drill". it is a 100% cotton fabric. If the folks at the fabric shop do not know what "pocket drill" is, just ask for 100% cotton drill.

This ought to get you off to a good start.

Sorry on posting in the wrong place.Thanks for the advise just what I was looking for.

Trying to get my P's and Q's right before I head to the range.

Ole Mule said:
OK on the patch and round ball how do you know which to use.
Long story short?
Gotta try both. It's just boils down to experiment to find the best one.
Your load technique, your patch and lube combination both affect how each will preform.

Now, if you are looking for maximum accuracy from your rifle, spend the mear $20 and buy this pamphlet from Dutch Schoultz http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
You do what he says exactly the way he says and he will have the patched round balls from your rifle cutting Xs. Believe me, it is the best $20 you will ever spend on your rifle. I can't recommend it highly enough. After you have bought his system, if you have any questions, he will give you his email address and his phone number so you can call and talk to him personally. You can't beat that. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
billnpatti,
thanks for the tip on that website. after spending about 30 minutes reading his site, i was sold on it and bought his system. you are correct, it is probably the best 20 bucks i'll ever spend.

Back