• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I will probably be in the 90 to 100 year old bracket before I can expect to see Green Mountain round ball barrels again manufactured.
Does T/C make them for the Hawken yet? or am I just plain out of luck.
Thanks

buggybuilder

Dusty,
If I am remembering correctly the TC barrels were, and are, typically 1:48 twist. Some models were made for bullets in 1:28. They also made, for a short time, a Hawken with a "round ball" barrel in 1:66. I have one of the 1:66 Hawkens and they are tack drivers, in someone elses hands.
Mark

dustystones said:
I will probably be in the 90 to 100 year old bracket before I can expect to see Green Mountain round ball barrels again manufactured.
Does T/C make them for the Hawken yet? or am I just plain out of luck.
Thanks

buggybuilder

Are you looking for a "drop in" barrel?

I called GM the other day and they told me they were just months away from completing their contract and would be back making commerical barrels. We'll see?

Oh,BTW, the 1/48 ROT shoot round balls just fine. There are a few 1/66 TC's on eBay from time to time.

Yep, the 1/48 Hawkens do fine with the proper loading combination. They usualy do best with a lower powder charge than a 1-66 deep grove barrel, but they will shoot well with the proper load. :hmm:

You have a PM.

My TC RB 1 in 66 twist barrel shot a 1-1/2" three shot group on my Clubs aggregate target at our Club Shoot today. First shot 2:00 cutting the 9 ring, second shot 7:00 cutting the 10 ring and the last shot 6:00 cutting the 10 ring. And I am just an average shot at our Club.

Robert

I have one of the 1/66 twist barrels for my TC 54 Hawken. Dad bought it for me when I was about 15 and shooting a lot of competitions. But I could never get used to the difference in weight from my 1/48 twist barrel. So its been in the gun safe for the past 24 years. God I'm getting old. :idunno:
I don't even know what he paid for it back in the day.

Track of the Wolf has all the parts and measurements and can do the metal work to make a drop in. Give em a ring. May not be much more than the GM made drop in.
TC

I'm about ready to send a worn .54 flinter off to Hoyt to make it a 58. But he could sleeve it for .375"RB. Or .451"RB. How does a man with the gift for making such neat toys have time for work?

Back