• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball calibers for moose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never hunted moose. I bought my .66 Christian Springs from a man in AK who DID hunt moose, and he wanted a gun to knock one on its butt. It is a 16-bore with Forsythe style rifling (shallow and slow, with narrow lands), it is sighted for 75 yards with 425gr PRB and 150gr of Goex 2F. It will shoot into 2" at 50 yds, about 2" high, and is about 2 1/2-3" low at 100. Didn't have time for much shooting on 100 yd range, as it was getting dark. Most of my shooting w/ it has been 50-75 yards, because that is where most of my shooting will be.

this moose was killed with one shot from a .62 smoothie.

2012-08-18165251.jpg

I have killed a bunch of moose and you can sit around the fire and pull yer tally wackers and say this an that.
I know this for a fact...
any round ball 50 cal or better at a 100yrds traveling at 1,500 fps entering the rib cage behind the shoulder will kill any moose period been there killed that.
only you can practice enough to not be just another dumb ass from the city screwing up our good hunting.

Shine said:
this moose was killed with one shot from a .62 smoothie.

2012-08-18165251.jpg

Good thing you dropped him before he charged :rotf: .

GMB, is the 1500fps figure you give a muzzle velocity or velocity at 100 yards? I'll never hunt moose; just curious.

muzzle,
I tend to push my RBs up to 54 cal at 1,800 fps out of the barrel. The 1,500 fps was more towards what your avrage shooter may push a hunting load.

I have killed a bunch of moose and you can sit around the fire and pull yer tally wackers and say this an that.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Was wondering when you would show up! :grin:

I'm thinking more and more .54 of which I have two but maybe it's time to finish up that .54 flinter and do it for "real". :haha:

marmotslayer said:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Was wondering when you would show up! :grin:

I'm thinking more and more .54 of which I have two but maybe it's time to finish up that .54 flinter and do it for "real". :haha:
Ya I was hanging out at Coyote Joes and had a few wile the blizzard raged instead being able to scout for birds. :cursing:
I got my redneck on.
:grin: and checked out huntin forum.

i put up a case of beer and i got some help from my friends.i was told these things are hard to move but it only took four of us and a chainsaw.

A while back I had a whole family of them moose livin in the attic, they went in thru the facia. They was the gray ones tho and thems a heep bigger but not quite as mean. Now you wanna talk about a racket. Sounded just like a herd of moose was livin up there. I coaxed em out one atta time with some moose food and whacked em with the .54 renegade and a maxiball (just one). I didn't shoot em thru, nope just barked em off the big oak out back. Ever bark moose? lordy if it aint a sight. After a few days I had a stack of six bull moose and one phillie skinned and gutted. the phillie tirned out to be a relief pitcher so it wernt no loss to them. Made blankets outa them hides and moose stoup with the meat. Thinkin I'm gonna make short starters and corn cob holders with the horns.

Hey we hauled that moose out with a trained squirrel. Gramp uses it to twitch logs but it worked. He was a little skittish cause of the scent of all the blood. Some day maybe we can save up and buy some rabbits to work the wood lot.They are easier to train.
moose_in_harness_sm_zpsa80aad97.jpg

I have shot a few moose, a .54 will do a good job and put him down.Do not ever shoot one in the water,or if there is a chance that it could run to the water,and remember that once that moose is down ,the fun is over with..

I've only shot ten moose ,not many by
Alaskan standards, and none with a muzzle loader.
They were all delicious. I think Kodiak deer are just as good and perhaps a shade better. Keeping them cool and letting them hang for close to a week before processing makes them sweet and tender.
Shoot them with their pants down and don't get them scared. Adrenaline does not make them taste very good, and as was said before and I cannot stress enough,(out of the water)! I've killed two in the water and don't ever want to do so again.
Moose aren't hard to kill and I would do so with my ,54 and PRB. I don't hunt with a single shot though here in AK because I'm always in bear country and alder brush when hunting moose and I've been close to quite a few of them in the last 40 years up here. They scare the manure out of me when I bump into them in the brush at close quarters so I'm always on my guard and checking my back trail. MD

Shine said:
Hey we hauled that moose out with a trained squirrel. Gramp uses it to twitch logs but it worked. He was a little skittish cause of the scent of all the blood. Some day maybe we can save up and buy some rabbits to work the wood lot.They are easier to train.
moose_in_harness_sm_zpsa80aad97.jpg

That's Jeffry; I've always regretted selling him.

I drew a ML bull moose tag 8-9 years ago or so where I live in Colorado. Only one bull permitted here in a lifetime, unlimited cows if you can manage to draw. I hunted with a TC Renegade .54 shooting a 440 gr. maxiball that I cast, powered by 105 gr. of Pyrodex RS. It was a successful hunt, I harvested a middle size bull, probably about 700-800 pounds live weight. All I know for sure about that is that my high school aged son and I could not pull it over onto its back with both of us pulling. I ended up shooting it 3 times even though the first shot was fatal. The first shot was behind the shoulder broadside at 80 yards, in a clearing. It stumbled when I shot, then walked into a willow thicket. I found out later that I had hit both lungs. After it walked off and the adrenaline wore down, my son and I waited about 45 minutes figuring it would lie down and die in the meantime.There was a good blood trail at the start on the willows about chest high on me, and then it disappeared. My son and I split up, but I found it 75 yards further on lying down, but it's head was still up and it tried to stand when it saw me. I shot it in the chest again and it fell flat on it's side, me thinking it was finished. I reloaded and called for my son to join me, and as my my son was busting through the willows towards me and yelling for directions, the moose's head came up and it tried to get it's front feet under it, and so I shot it again, this time in the neck at the base of the skull and finished it for good. I recovered both bullets from the chest shots under the hide on the offside - complete penetration and energy dump! Both slugs had mushroomed to about 3/4 inches (I cast them a little hard), both pretty intact having only hit ribs and lungs. The entry holes were about 3" apart, the slugs about 10" apart where they stopped. I have no doubt that if I would have waited a little longer I would have found it dead. I have seen elk do the same thing, they're both very big and tough animals. Next time I think I would try to get a little closer and make sure I got the heart.

Back