• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball killing power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the correct answer. :grin:

Just to give you some depth, ALL cartridge loads for modern hunting of large game must hit the animal in an area that is lethal, with enough energy to accomplish sufficient damage, to work in a quick and humane manner. Miss either of the lethal zones, and the animal may still die, but of infection, or other problem. The same is true for muzzleloading rifles and guns.

So as Brokanero points out with a good powder charge... so the bullet has sufficient energy at impact, and in the right spot... meaning it's accurate where you aimed it, and where you aimed it is one of the lethal zones (head/spine-at-the-neck or lungs/heart)...,

Most folks seem to use between 70 - 90 grains for .50 - .54 caliber rifles vs. deer, and I like to only go for the heart/lung zone. I like 70 grains of 3Fg in my .54 as it goes completely through a deer with a broadside lung shot at 100 yards or less, and is very accurate. I saw my pattern open a bit with a test charge of 80 grains at 50 yards, and with 90 grains it was a bit wider so I stick with what works with my rifle.

You need to test your rifle too.

LD

They kill all out of proportion to what the guys selling jacketed conicals and sabots will tell you. Kinda makes me wonder if they're trying to sell you something. Along with their bill of goods! :rotf:

Yep, it's difficult to hype up one of natures simplest designs, a round ball. If I were a salesman, this is what I'd say:

"These XST Spheroid Penetrator rounds are the latest thing in large game killing technology. Cast from the purest lead, using the highest tolerance machined molds, air cooled, then visually examined for perfect roundness. They have the expansion ability of twice the original size, and little to no loss of weight upon impact. Penetration is greater than any conical projectile, and has fantastic energy transfer to surrounding tissue, causing massive damage and a quicker, more humane death. Only $20 per pack of 10". Bill

Snowdragon, that was funny! With the right packaging, the sheeple will buy anything.

snowdragon said:
Yep, it's difficult to hype up one of natures simplest designs, a round ball. If I were a salesman, this is what I'd say:

"These XST Spheroid Penetrator rounds are the latest thing in large game killing technology. Cast from the purest lead, using the highest tolerance machined molds, air cooled, then visually examined for perfect roundness. They have the expansion ability of twice the original size, and little to no loss of weight upon impact. Penetration is greater than any conical projectile, and has fantastic energy transfer to surrounding tissue, causing massive damage and a quicker, more humane death. Only $20 per pack of 10". Bill

:rotf:

I'd run around posting that on every inline site you could find. It'd be like someone questioning the planks at one of the political conventions!

Lubricated high tech fabric gas sealers sold separately. :grin:

Ok, I've had cable tv for a couple of months now, which I've mostly spent watching those stupid hunting shows. I just copied what they would say. My goodness, most of those shows are just half hour infomercials. Ozonics? Electricity blocking hunting suits? Gimme a break! :blah: Bill

I sure like the sounds of those XST Spheroid Penetrators and such a great price! Hopefully, they'll go on sale soom cuz I'm just gonna have to have a new gun to shoot them with...I guess... since they are sooo high tech. new! Could you recommend something appropriate? Maybe something outaline, not inline?
Cheers, that was such a great post of your's!!

"Lubricated high tech fabric gas sealers sold separately." :rotf:

Too funny! Someone make him stop.......or, someone higher him for their marketing dept!

which I've mostly spent watching those stupid hunting shows. I just copied what they would say

Don't forget to whisper if you are in one of those [strike]towers[/strike], er I mean elevated blinds, and the buck is 300 yards away in a field,..., I mean that's what they do on them shows..., :haha:

Oh and add: The projectile is fully recyclable, and meets projectile specifications for firearms for the past three centuries; so are useable in modern made and antique firearms which are certified safe-to-fire. Does not contain wheat or peanuts, and is non-ferrous.

LD

Picture the commercial ending with a big brawny bearded snarling guy, glaring at the camera, saying, "It takes BALLS to shoot a muzzleloader! Do you have BALLS"? Bill

Back