• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball results from new jug choked tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
After YotieJoe choked my tulle to full I spent a little time getting it center point of aim.
Havent explored all load development options will do that this summer.
I forget to take pics of my 40 yrd turkey load results but it's about 80 percent.
will take pics and post those results later.
TVM tulle
60 grns of FFG Goex .600 RB .020 patch, 50 yrds.
Which allowed me to get a third at our mt man saunter this last weekend.
DSCF4717.jpg

DSCF4718.jpg

Nice shooting there! I have been thinking on a smoothie and I was wondering if a longer barrel helps on a smooth bore?

Looks good! Dead Elk-deer-bear! what type of lube? Thanks for sharing... Interested in your shot column and pattern...Dan

That looks like potent whitetail medicine. I'll be you can hardly wait to hunt with it!

Nice Gun, and NICER target! Its refreshing to see a gun with the LOCK on the PROPER SIDE! :blah: :shocked2: :hmm: :hatsoff:

Dang Pard, I'd be happy with that group from a rifle! Now let's see what it can do at 100. :haha:

Great looking gun with the lock on the "correct side" and very nice shooting!

Thanks everyone,
will post shot results later on when I have time to do a little more load development.
:thumbsup:

Good morning
Down in the bottoms where I hunt that would take care of all the deer I have shot in the last 20 years plus all of the crows, grounghogs and odd racoons. I am gonna have to rethink them jug chokes.

The jug chokes seem to work well and many like them but I guess I am old fashioned and try to stay with period methods to achive a goal, the jug choke is kinda like putting a 327 in a two wheeled cart cause the horses didn't pull it fast enough :hmm: how did they get by without such things in the 18th thru mid 19th century? I always wonder about this with most of the gadgets we add to make the guns do what we need.Most do not care about whether anything was similar or done in the past, but how did they get by?

I hear what you're saying TG. I'm of two minds on that myself. One mind says "even a slight degree of choke will greatly improve the pattern of a cylinder bore gun." Then the other mind chimes in with "yeah, but you have a Winchester pump which will do even better and carries two extra shells."
A jug choke doesn't show on the outside so no one will know unless you tell them but YOU will know you are not really doing it the way the early settlers did it. You will have pretty much all the range of a modern shotgun in something which still looks like a flint fowler. Is that cheating? All depends on who draws the line and where they draw it.

It definately crosses the line for what I try to do but more power to those who find the need for the concept, I still wonder how folks in the past got by without them and Co2 dischargers, modern type peeps and all the modern niceties we like to add to the ML's today, I have found it more interesting/challenging to stay as close as I can to the old ways,to try for the experience of yesterdays hunters and I am aware that my barrel is steel and I do not ride a horse to the woods before anyone goes down that ridiculus path, I guess there are just many levels of desire to take the challenge and work with what was available in the past.I cannot really call it cheating unless done in a manner where it is not made known and adds an advantage in a contest.

Back