• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round or Maxi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyLongbeard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I killed my first deer with my CVA Sunday. Got a good hit on her but took some time to find a blood trail. I was using round ball. Has anyone used the maxi-ball? The rifle doesn't like the sabot but shoots the round ball very well. Does the maxi give you better penetration?

Thanks in advance.

I really like the Maxi, but your rifle has to have a relatively fast twist. It's heavy, accurate, and will do a number on anything you shoot with it. Roundball will work, but the Maxi works better, IMO, if it will shoot from your gun.

JMHO

I killed my first deer with my CVA Sunday. Got a good hit on her but took some time to find a blood trail. I was using round ball. Has anyone used the maxi-ball? The rifle doesn't like the sabot but shoots the round ball very well. Does the maxi give you better penetration?

Thanks in advance.

Usually a conical is somewhat heavier and all else being equal would normally give better penetration.

However, you didn't mention caliber, powder charge, or distance so it's hard to offer additional information...so FWIW, some powder charges in use might actually be mid-range charges...a good stout powder charge for hunting with a roundball is very effective on deer at normal woods distances

I replied earlier, but it is gone. What CVA so I know which barrel. What load, how far, and where did you hit the deer?

It's a .50cal. Plainsman. I was loaded with 92gr. of Pyrodex. The shot was around 50yds. Give or take 5. I was trying a broadside lung hit but it went forward about 3". I pulled it, I know I did. Bullet went through the back part of the shoulder, through the lungs and lodged in the opposite shoulder. She bound off and after a while I went to check the area. No blood or anything. Followed the trail she went up and nothing. I honestly thought I missed. It was my first shot at a deer with it. Only after checking another area about 100yds away did I find her. Lots of blood, looks like she went in circles rubbing blood up against trees and stuff. A real mess. I'ved killed deer with rifles and handguns but never had one that didnt bleed utill later. I'm sure it was because of the shot not going all the way through.

It appears that you made a high, lung hit, possibly only hitting one lung. The lung(s) had to fill almost completely with blood before she started blowing blood and left a trail. The lack of an exit wound compounded th problem but if the ball had exited high also, it wouldn't have helped much. A maxi might have provided enough additional penetration to exit but, again, if that wound was also high, it may not have left any better of a blood trail.

I have seen this occur several times with guys using 1 oz, 12 guage slugs, even with complete penetration. If you had gone back and looked where the wounded doe ran, you might have been able to pick up a blood trail sooner but it would be well off where she actually ran because it was being sprayed to one side. If she ran through brush, it would have been high up on the brush also.

This isn't really the fault of the roundball but the result of a less than ideal hit, although any shot that puts them down within a hundred yards is a good one.

Roundball is bad about the blood trail not starting for a ways. I hit a nice buck a little far back with him quartering away from me two years ago. When the smoke cleared, he was gone. I found him but never did find a blood trail, and that ball exited. He went about 250 yards because I apparently only got one lung. I shot a little doe with the same load the next day and hit her right. 30 yards from where she was hit the blood was flowing. If you use roundball, you have take extra care to put that ball where it belongs. They are a good bullet, but there are several instances when I will not use them. One is a newcomer to deer hunting or a beginner. I can't depend on them to tell me exactly where the deer was last seen and without that, finding a trail in an area with lots of deer is almost impossible. The other issue is having a newcomer walking around thinking they just blew an easy shot and all the things that go with that. I also will not use them if I am hunting a small area where if the deer get out of that area they can not be recovered or they may run into other hunters in a short distance. I use a the conicals in those situations. The 385 Hornady has a hit by a truck effect a lot of the time. They are no fun to shoot because of recoil. My roundball loads get shot all year long and confidence is a big factor in hunting. In the case of that buck, I found him because I knew right where I had hit him, and I was sure. Being sure, I kept looking past when a person with doubts would have. If you shoot roundball a lot, it is the load of choice. If not, then you might want to use one of the conicals. They do penetrate better and cause better trails.

I've never used a Maxi-ball on deer. Around here (NY) Maxi-balls have a bad reputation for "over penetration" with little impact. They drill a small hole straight through and keep going, like a full metal jacket. A friend stopped using them on deer, but uses them when he hog hunts.

Round ball penetration is not a problem. I've only ever found one still in the deer, and that was a frontal shot that passed 31" through the chest, diaphram, abdomen, and was lodged under the skin on the back of the offside hip. The deer reared up and fell backwards, kicked twice, and it was done.

Round ball is what I now use. In the past I have used Maxi-Hunters (like a softer, hollow-point Maxi-ball), and they are very effective on lung-shot deer. I've also had lung-shot deer drop immediately with round balls, so I can't say they're any better under 50 yards, but I would guess (don't know) that they are a better choice at longer ranges.

I have decided to use the round ball because it does require more patience and it is a challenge to work around it's weaknesses. I hunt where I can't SEE a deer past 50 or 60 yards. If I was going after mule deer or antelope I would probably be of a different opinion.

Unfortunately there are occasionally the "good" hits that still allow a deer to put 150 yards on in it's final 10 seconds of life. Muscle shifts and tissue plugs the ball hole(s) and you've got a tough blood trail. No one wants it, but that's life.

All you can do is refuse to give up and put all your trailing skills to use. If you loose the trail fan back and forth, or spiral, until you find it again. I drag 20 ft of uncoiled 5/16" line (my deer drag) along with me so I can see where the deer is trending. If I loose the trail I drop the line. When I find another drop I bring the line to that point and resume.

The worst, knock wood, round ball trail I ever had took me 7 hours and I found maybe six drops of blood in that time. I finally found the doe in the absolute thickest cover on that hillside. The wound was in the front legpit just over the heart, the ball having clipped the leg bone and shattered it, and the deer had lifted that leg and hobbled, plugging that side with muscle, and the opposite side was higher from where the ball had "skipped" up off the leg bone and plugged with suet, lung and clotted blood. I knew it was dead somewhere and spent hours zig-zagging that hillside (lots of downed tops of trees from having been logged in the past, dogwood and brambles). It was maybe 120 yards from where it stood when I shot but I kept "missing" it as I crawled through that section.

I'll more than likely stick with it. Thing is, this was my first year really using it. I wasn't used to how the trigger pulled, I know that's why I pulled my shot. Won't happen again. I plan on shooting it alot before it opens up again.
Thanks for all the tips!

Back