• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundballs verses Conicals..??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot only conicals and all of my rifles (1:48) are coned. If there was any fall off of accuracy i haven't detected it and the deer haven't noticed either.
Would be interested in Who made the coning tool you used? The ones I have are from Joe Wood but I know of 2 other people who also make a version of coning tool.

While I have enjoyed Maniac's videos I don't feel that the heading title was truly valid for the video. Too many variables on the the conicals and I'm pretty sure he uses a RB twist (1:60?) barrel, but I could be wrong. A 1:48 barrel can be made to shoot RB and conicals closer than just about any other twist but only after making adjustments.

I used Joe Woods tools in both 50 and 54. I absolutely love how easy my Maxis are to load quickly and line up straight.
Interesting When I got my tools from Mr. Wood he did state that they wouldn't work with conicals. Would be interested in seeing what kind of accuracy your getting. I have a rifle I built just for hunting a .45 with a 1 X 24 twist just to shoot conicals. having been a target shooter so any rifle I have is expected to shoot a 1 hole group at 50 yards. It is a very accurate rifle but some what difficult to load the conicals.

Conicals should be sized to the barrel of the gun intended to shoot them. Conical lead bullets should be both sized and lined to provide accurate results in a test to determine what is most accurate. They should look similar to the photo posted below. This provides the most ethical approach to be utilized when hunting game animals.

IMG_7935.jpeg

Conicals should be sized to the barrel of the gun intended to shoot them. Conical lead bullets should be both sized and lined to provide accurate results in a test to determine what is most accurate. They should look similar to the photo posted below. This provides the most ethical approach to be utilized when hunting game animals.

View attachment 349451
Lubed, not lined! Damn auto correct!

Interesting When I got my tools from Mr. Wood he did state that they wouldn't work with conicals. Would be interested in seeing what kind of accuracy your getting. I have a rifle I built just for hunting a .45 with a 1 X 24 twist just to shoot conicals. having been a target shooter so any rifle I have is expected to shoot a 1 hole group at 50 yards. It is a very accurate rifle but some what difficult to load the conicals.
Last week I shot my Deerstalker 50 percussion at 50 yds. 368g Maxis with my (dried out) lube. I don't have the target anymore but I did measure the groups. The best group was a three hole cloverleaf at 3 o'clock and even after adjusting sights to the ten ring and firing two more, one was in the X ring. That 5 shot group measured 1-5/8" which included the sight correction. I understand ones' concern of a can't-go-back mod to a barrel. If I was a competition shooter I might hesitate. As a hunter the convenience (no ball starter) and time saved in loading is much appreciated. That's why after coning one barrel and experiencing the results, I coned all my rifles.

I think every thing has ts place! I am not a fan of conicals but if one desires to hunt deer size game or larger with a .45 or .50 cal. rifle it would be wize on their part to consider using conicals on the other hand if you shoot a .54 or .58 cal a ball will not let you down. I personally like a .54 cal as the big bore make the rifle a little lighter. A .530 ball sitting on 80 grains of powder will take just about anything in America if you place it well. My problem with small cal. rifles the load that is most accurate is generally not strong enough to suit me.

Yes, he told me the same thing. He does not recommend using the tool for shooting conicals.

View attachment 349451
Correct. Mr. Hoyt measured my conicals I cast and run through a Lee sizing die. Then bored my barrel to size.

I'm of the school that the body of the conical should be a relatively easy fit to the lands. Only slightly engraved. And that the front driving band should be a tight fit to the grooves.

That holds the body of the bullet straight when initially pushed in and let's the driving band keep the bullet from tipping so it shoots without wobbling.

That's how I do it but I don't have any comparisons or data to support it.

Latest posts

Back