• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RPL L&R Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of finish are you wanting to put on the lock? Brown? Blue? Gray? Give a bit of help, here, and we can tell you what is possible, and how to do it. If you read through the Gun Builder's Topic below, you should find all kinds of posts discussing finishes.

Paul,
When I recieved the lock for a Renegade my feelings where 'darn' I've got to put a finish on it? The color wouldn't have to match T/C's but close would probably be nice.

In searching the Builders form I wasn't able to match a good subject heading for information. Such as will the lock need to be disassembled or is heat envolved,how much, ect.

Rusty

Well, let me ask this. Is it OK to leave the lock in the white then later on down the road, finish it? What protects the metal from rust in the mean time. Kinda paranoid about rust :)

Rusty

I've moved my questions to the 'Gun Builders Bench', Thank You

You can leave it in the white if you want, a lot of the old ones were that way. Just keep some oil on it to keep it from rusting. To blue it, disassemble the lock, use a good cold blue to blue the outside of the lockplate, and reassemble lock. Course while you have it apart it wouldn't hurt to Polish the inside of the lockplate, and all bearing surfaces like the hole in the plate the tumbler shaft goes through,etc.

Back