• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberthamilton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was told by a guy at the range that he has a Ruger Old Army 45 cal (BP). Any info on it would be good ie ball size and what not. I thought they were in 44cal. I need to make a decision if I should get it. He claims its never been fired.

Rob

The ROA is no longer made, so they can be over-priced these days. They are a very stout gun that is a reproduction of no particular gun of the past, but a good shooter.
They take .457 balls with all the powder you can cram into it. I shoot mine with very wimpy loads (22gr), but it is very accurate.
If you can get it for under $400.00, I'd grab it and run. I've heard of them going for up to $700.00 lately, but that's nuts.
Like I said, a good accurate, strong gun.

CA$450 for a blued 7 1/2" ROA, unfired, is not cheap, but it's not expensive either. I'd say it's at or just below current market.

Ruger's marketing department called the gun a .45; it's the same caliber as all other .44 cal repica black powder percussion revolvers. It does do better with .457 rb's, however.

PICT0713.jpg

ROA's don't recieve bad reviews. If the one your considering is unfired I'd be inclined to say the price is right.

Put the hammer in half cock when turning the cylinder and it will remain unmarked.

Rusty

When I get it should I try .454 and .457 RB's? I assume it will be #11 caps but guess it could be #10's. Should be fun to plunk with it.

ROB

cooterdog said:
When I get it should I try .454 and .457 RB's? I assume it will be #11 caps but guess it could be #10's. Should be fun to plunk with it.

ROB

I use .457s in mine. I haven't tried .454s or .451s but the small ring cut with .457s I would wonder if a .454 would be big enough. I use #11 caps in mine. They seem to stay on well without crimping.

.457 and Remington caps, either 10's or 11's seem to work most of the time.

I use .457 RB in mine and # 11 caps. Anything smaller than .457 didn't shave a noticeable ring of lead. The # 11 caps fit snuggly (good seal at the nipple end) and I've never had one fall off or shift before firing. After shooting, the caps either fall off as the cylinder rotates or they can be plucked off easily.

Jeff

if unfired it's a decent buy since the price went up 50$ when Ruger ceased production.
a 7.62X39 (AK or SK case) caseful of 3F makes a good 'hot' load under a felt and a Lee mold conical slug. accurate too.

Just waiting for the paperwork to be completed now. The owner said he will not sell it to anybody but me now, Guess thats a good thing. Its one of two guns I want. The other will be a flintlock pistol in a 50cal some time later. I think the black powder bug has bitten me!

ROB

I think the black powder bug has bitten me!

Then welcome to the dark side! You'll find that it can be an expensive, yet pleasurable way to be bug-bit! :grin:

mykeal said:
CA$450 for a blued 7 1/2" ROA, unfired, is not cheap, but it's not expensive either. I'd say it's at or just below current market.

I wouldn't look at Gunbroker then.It might scare you.

R.M. said:
mykeal said:

Gunbroker is not my first choice in looking for any firearm.

R.M. said:
mykeal said:

I found a nickle plated one:
"Features: Muzzle loading revolvers designed to use a .457 diameter round ball or .457 conical bullet of pure lead Ӣ "Cap-and-ball" ignition system, with seperate percussion caps, a charge of black powder, and projectiles loaded into the front of the cylinder Ӣ For Black Powder and Pyrodes Ӣ All-coil spring mechanism Ӣ Can be dry fired without damage to the gun Ӣ Disassembled without tools Ӣ Interlocking rammer and base pin assembly that won't unlatch during recoil Ӣ Caliber: .45 Auto Ӣ Ramp front sight and rear adjustable sight Ӣ S/S nipples for #10 or #11 percussion caps Ӣ Finish: Stainless Ӣ Capacity: 6 rds. Ӣ Grip: Rosewood Ӣ Barrel: 7.5" ӢO.A.L.: 13.5" Ӣ Wt.: 51 oz. Ӣ Includes: Gun lock and case. $629.95"

Not on gunbroker its in Canada though!!

Rob

The ROA price can vary some in different regions of the country. $450 for a unfired 7.5 stainless is not bad. I have seen them bid higher on GB, a lot higher.

I just have to be patient and wait for the CFC to approve my application to purchase the Ruger Cap'n'Ball. Is there anywhere I can get spare cylinders for the Ruger .45? I seen conversion ones made to fire 45 centerfire pistol ammo!

Rob

Back