• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruggle Patent Underhammer by Rod Olsen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week I was perusing Track of the Wolf's website and saw that they had three Ruggle's Patent underhammer pistols built by Rod Olsen of Nebraska. All were .38 caliber, one with a 4" barrel, one a 5" barrel, and the last a 7" barrel. I ordered the 7" pistol and got it yesterday. Here it is next to a Western Arms (Uberti) 1860 Colt for scale.

ruggle-with-colt-1860-right.jpg

Removing the grip requires one screw which threads into the back of the action. This is what the action looks like cocked.

action-cocked.jpg

The hammer and trigger are the only moving parts. There are two springs, one each for the hammer and trigger.

From an older thread the barrel is stamped CAST STEEL to mimic original 19th Century guns, but it's not actually cast steel.

At some point I might detail strip it to make drawings of the parts to see if I can make a copy for myself, maybe as a buggy rifle.

Along with the pistol I got a bag of .360 balls. I plan to try it with those in a ticking patch on top of 15 - 20 grains of 3Fg. I'll post a range report after I shoot it.

Last week I was perusing Track of the Wolf's website and saw that they had three Ruggle's Patent underhammer pistols built by Rod Olsen of Nebraska. All were .38 caliber, one with a 4" barrel, one a 5" barrel, and the last a 7" barrel. I ordered the 7" pistol and got it yesterday. Here it is next to a Western Arms (Uberti) 1860 Colt for scale.
Dave, WTG:thumb:
Your RO underhamer builder is one of my best friends. I met Rod in the early 70s at a ML shoot. I have two of his, one a 45 cal and then a brass barrel/receiver one in 36 cal. He is 82 years old and one heck of a gunsmith. He now makes the barrels including the rifling. All the parts, sights, and springs he also makes.
My 45 cal was his earlier model when he was using rifled barrel cut offs.
Larry

IMG_6483.jpeg

View attachment 340386

Removing the grip requires one screw which threads into the back of the action. This is what the action looks like cocked.

View attachment 340387

The hammer and trigger are the only moving parts. There are two springs, one each for the hammer and trigger.

From an older thread the barrel is stamped CAST STEEL to mimic original 19th Century guns, but it's not actually cast steel.

At some point I might detail strip it to make drawings of the parts to see if I can make a copy for myself, maybe as a buggy rifle.

Along with the pistol I got a bag of .360 balls. I plan to try it with those in a ticking patch on top of 15 - 20 grains of 3Fg. I'll post a range report after I shoot it.
Not 20 minutes ago I looked for this pistol on Tracks website! I looked at it a week or so ago and haven’t been able to get it outa my mind. Glad someone here got it. It’s a nice piece. Please post how it shoots for you.

I picked up one from Track last week. Compared to a couple original underhammer pistols in my collection it is a bit bulky, but it is still well built.

Did you ever get around to doing a range report on this guy? I just bought a 6” model, and I’m anxious to see a write-up on these fine pistols!

Back