• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rust in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeep.p.s.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got T/C Hawken .50 cal. It was stored over the winter (since january) & I got it out to clean it up for the first shoot a couple weeks ago & had some reddish patches. didn't seem to get any better the more I cleaned.

I tried shooting it figuring it would wear the surface rust out. After cleaning it again the rust is still there & now the barrel feels slightly rough. any ideas on what I should do to clean it up?

Could use some "navel jelly". be careful not to get it on the outside finish because it will take blue and rust brown off. Should be able to get it at a hardware store. You may need to lap the barrel to get it smooth.

Get JB Bore cleaner. I would soak the barrel in WD40 for a few days. Wipe it dry, and use JB as directed on the jar. Stay away from Naval Jelly it can do a lot of damage. :shake:

Spray as much WD40 as possible down the barrel and run a copper brush down several times and let it soak for a day. Next day use the copper brush again and run patches down the barrel until its perfectly clean; put a light oil coat on it after that.

Its easy and works every time. :v

Dont forget to remove the nipple to clean it too, if the barrel has rust in it is very possible that the nipple is also a bit rusty.

Naval jelly will do no harm to the bore. It will leave it gray colored, but will get the rust out. Let it sit in the bore a few minutes, then flush it out with water and wet patches. Repeat if necessary. The rust will continue to do more damage if it is left, and JB is not agressive enough to get all the rust. JB would be good to follow the Naval jelly though.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Naval jelly will do no harm to the bore. It will leave it gray colored, but will get the rust out. Let it sit in the bore a few minutes, then flush it out with water and wet patches. Repeat if necessary. The rust will continue to do more damage if it is left, and JB is not agressive enough to get all the rust. JB would be good to follow the Naval jelly though.
:thumbsup: I agree , like mentioned earlier you need to be carefull not to get the naval jelly on the outside finish of the gun. It will remove bluing and browning. But its easy enough to avoid doing that.

Hummm -- interesting and I found the following the last time I cleaned my GPR and Blue Ridge flinters. Both fired and cleaned using the hot water and soap method some time in late April of this year. Both bores were swabbed with Remoil and then given an application of RIG before being put up. When I cleaned them, the GPR showed that a very light amount of rust (shudder) appeared on the dry patch. However, the Blue Ridge bore was free of any rust signs. Both rifles were stored in my gun cabinet with moisture collecting medium in place. Could it be that the barrels are made from different types of steel and one is more prone to oxidation? I don't know. :confused: And I guess it dosn't make any difference, but I found it interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the JB if I can find some. Any good places to get it?

Also heard I could use some fine steel wool to smooth the barrel. Anybody have any experience with that or is it a bad idea?

I stored it over the winter with a good (I thought :( ) coat of bore butter. My *un-named* rifle was fine with the same treatment.

Risking the start of another battle on the Forum, I'll just say that Bore Butter isn't the best way of protecting the bore of your muzzleloader from rust ( in my opinion, Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade is much better and the residue left from it doesn't seem to create any hard fouling).
zonie :)

I agree, Borebutter has it's good points, but protection from rust is not one of them.

I agree about bore butter. I use olive oil with great sucess. I use it for patch lube also. Someone had a test plate that I seen on diffrent lubes for rust protection. Bore butter was not rated very high. But a 3M pad worked well to clean up one of my barrels. Good luck to you.

JB Paste ought to be available at big box sporting goods stores like Gander Mountain, etc. I'd try some PB blaster soaked patches on the rust before going with the JB though. :v

I agree on the bore butter/not so rust preventative. I like ballistol. Wouldn't have tried it had I not read about it here.

You can get JB from Midway, Brownells, and some gun shops. Personally, I'd much rather use it than a scotch brite pad, I've seen the way it works cleaning up rusty knife blades, and wouldn't want it touching my rifling, but that's just me.

jeep.p.s. said:
I stored it over the winter with a good (I thought :( ) coat of bore butter. My *un-named* rifle was fine with the same treatment.

I would stay away from borebutter It rust barrels. It has rusted mine in the past and all test show it is one of the first lubes to cause rusting. :hmm:
I have been using Ballistol for five years now and have never had a problem.
If you need to lap your barrel now that the damage is done, Get some NECO four part lapping compound. You can find Neco at[url] neconos.com[/url].
Smear the compound on a thick patch, place a RB inside the patch start the ball down your barrel saw back and forth a few times. Pull the patch clean the barrel do it again.It takes me three hours to lap in a new barrel so be patient. Do this four times with each numbered compound and you should have your gun back to mirror bright or close to it.
And never use bore butter for anything but patch lube. You can do a little check on old forums there is a lube test that shows just how bad bore butter is.
you can get Ballistol fron Midway gun supplies.
:hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Sheath all of the time! Spray it into the bore, put some on a couple of patches, push the range rod half way down the bore and spray some more! I use a patch worm for cleaning and I pump the rod until some oil sprays out the threads where the nipple goes. Then I put the nipple back on, using a drop of oil on the nipple threads. Store the gun for a couple of days muzzle down on a paper towel so that the excess oil drains out the muzzle.

At the range we dry patch to remove any oil, cap-off a couple of times. Never had a missfire and NO rust either! And I don't even have to worry about that dreaded "clean-out screw", cause plenty of oil gets up in there to take care of that too! :)

Dave

I'll second Sheath. So far, I've never had a problem with any of my guns using it - both BP and smokeless. Also use a RigRag with just a dab worked in. Seems to be a decent combination.

Deaconjo the blue ridge is made by pedersoli and has a chrome lined barrel.i use ballistol in my guns never get rust.
bernie :thumbsup:

Back