• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust protection.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Searching products again.

Bore butter..

Cooking grill products.

Make my own.

Renaissance wax..

to prevent rust.

I don't use anything in the bore during use because I been using gun oil to prevent rust. Been cleaning daily during the season.

Wondering if it's good for a week or two with a coat of the Renaissance wax.. that seems to be popular..

The search went from cooking to knifes to then armor. Then modern unmentionable back to armor back to muzzloaders. Used across the board. Renaissance wax.

That thing rust..

Between making something and buying it.. what's the difference?

That's just an example product.. there are other products but?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240922_053538_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_053538_Chrome.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240922_053111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_053111_Chrome.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 0
?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240922_071758_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_071758_Chrome.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240922_071743_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_071743_Chrome.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 0

Bore butter..

Cooking grill products.

Make my own.

Renaissance wax..

to prevent rust.

I don't use anything in the bore during use because I been using gun oil to prevent rust. Been cleaning daily during the season.

Wondering if it's good for a week or two with a coat of the Renaissance wax.. that seems to be popular..

The search went from cooking to knifes to then armor. Then modern unmentionable back to armor back to muzzloaders. Used across the board. Renaissance wax.

The first part of rust protection is the keep the gun clean.

All the productions you’ve mentioned are fine to use, but keeping the gun clean is the most critical.

Last edited:
All oil does is form a coat between the steel and air so oxygen can’t get to the steel.
Britsmoothie has an active tread where he keeps his guns rust free without cleaning like the OCD me does
Most of my guns have in the white barrels.
I tried bore butter in my guns then go to wipe them out after a week to find brown bore.
I thought it was rust, but it was just air browned grease
Clean and oil, and you’ll not have a problem

I check them anyway.

I've only collected 3 that I use. You know.

they won't get forgotten about around here.

I'll have to try a few things..

I have the bore butter and I have vegetables oil and shortening.

I've been using 1000plus/bore butter since the day it hit the market and nothing else since the day it came on the market inside and out and not a spot of rust inside or out. It's my only patch lube and after the barrel is clean and still hot I use a lubed patch to wipe it down you can see the lube melting

Pour bacon grease through a coffee filter into a jar or can, wax, olive oil to the time of year. Never worry about rust I shoot to often.
Was looking at this also..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240922_093158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_093158_Chrome.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240922_085253_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_085253_Chrome.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 0
Ross Seyfried was one of my favorite gun writers. He once wrote an article about all natural lubes on muzzleloaders. His advice was to never let petroleum products near it. I've been using T/C bore butter for 30yrs., inside and out. I've never had any rust. I've left it loaded all year many times and fired it before the season. It has never misfired.

I keep the rifle in my house. If you store yours outside in a barn you may need something else.

Well, clean it, dry it, oil it, and forget it till the next time you will use this pistol…
Without great interest for all people, I'll tell you what I do:
- Parker Hale Yougs "303" mixed with water one part for three of water.
- Clean all the residues with this solvent.
- Finish with old parts of cotton or patches.
- Oil with the PH 303 pure and let the weapon till the next time.
The longest time I waited before using a revolver was two years, my country is moist, but I did not find any rust after those two years.

Back