• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust protection.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a rust protector and lubricant, nothing beats the performance and price of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. It was engineered to do both of those things at a high level. Not a particularly romantic choice for muzzleloading, but it was originally developed for use on nuclear submarines, and a quart will last you a long time for gun things.

I haven't paid the steep premium for "specialty" gun lubricants for a long time.

Now lube for patches and shooting and cleaners are a different matter, but to prevent rust and keep things moving that's it.

I made it simple.

Italian Pedersoli... Olive oil

TC.... bore butter.

My knight.. maybe Ren Wax

I'm not putting down anybody's cleaning method or choices of gun cleaner/lube/preservative. You can go 21st century or 18th century or even earlier, and if you're happy, that's all that matters. From what I've read, and I don't know much about it, sperm whale oil was the preferred gun oil a couple hundred years ago, but it was expensive and hard to get. I would imagine Daniel Boone and friends probably used bacon grease, hog lard, etc. because that's what they had on hand and it worked good enough. They couldn't hop on Amazon and get sperm oil delivered to their cabin doors but if they could have again I bet they would've preferred that. My 2¢ worth is if you are concerned about keeping rust at bay to try a few modern products any of which would probably be superior to the bacon grease type diy stuff. Think back to the 70s or 80s when lots of guys spent good money to get oil filter cannisters that took rolls of toilet paper. The company that sold them touted the super filtration, low cost, ease of replacement etc. that their TP method offered. I wonder how many engines got locked up a few miles down the road when that roll of Charmin turned to a soggy lump of paper. Neither the old ways nor the latest gee whiz ways are always the best ways.

Last edited:
I'm not putting down anybody's cleaning method or choices of gun cleaner/lube/preservative. You can go 21st century or 18th century or even earlier, and if you're happy, that's all that matters. From what I've read, and I don't know much about it, whale sperm oil was the preferred gun oil a couple hundred years ago, but it was expensive and hard to get. I would imagine Daniel Boone and friends probably used bacon grease, hog lard, etc. because that's what they had on hand and it worked good enough. They couldn't hop on Amazon and get sperm oil delivered to their cabin doors but if they could have again I bet they would've preferred that. My 2¢ worth is if you are concerned about keeping rust at bay to try a few modern products any of which would probably be superior to the bacon grease type diy stuff.

It's for in use Shotgun.

On modern M I'm looking synthetics. The Ren wax. I want to get n try so that gun gets that.

Shotgun.. I want to just swab a few patches of whatever after the hunt each day all week instead of cleaning everyday after one shot or two. Then I'll clean and start over each week..

After the season I'm still not worried. Good cleaning I'll use like olive oil I think and keep an eye on it.. I won't have to clean out gun oil to use it.

Last edited:
Back