• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust Remover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good evening and Happy Holidays.
I am in need of a home receipe for rust removal.
In search of online products, I find some can be quite expensive. Any thouths or receipes are appreciated.

Feed grade molasses watered down 8:1 water:molasses is my go to. If you have un-sulfated molasses then you need a thicker solution in the 5:1 range is my experience. But the feed grade molasses works best.
Leave whatever piece of iron you are treating sit in this solution for 24-48 hours and it comes out clean as a whistle. Takes the bluing and browning right off also, so be aware.

Cynthia, you sound like my first experiment with Naval jelly..."Oh lookit, it takes off that bluing real good...manure, it takes off the case hardening color too!" Also burns the fiddlin' fire out of your eyes if you wave the wrong way and splash some near the old eye balls! Just ask me how I know...I de-double-dog dare you! :rotf:

If you go down the old molasses route be aware that the 8:1 concoction needs to ferment to do its work. The temp must up to fermentation temp & kept there, cold will kill it.
Pieces to be treated are to be totally submerged
If parts are left soaking too long it keeps eating metal.
The rusted part must be thoroughly de greased.
Non rusted machined surfaces not wanting to be etched must be protected with grease, wax, paint, tape or some such masking cover.
If you have never done this before run some tests on expendable scrap before starting on the good bits.
O.

For me it depends on what's rusty. if I cant sand, steel wool, or polish it off I might use muriatic acid but be warned it's not for a novice to use.

Yeah that's right mate.
Things can be ruined real easy & so fast with no turning back.
O.

Evapo-rust. Takes the rust off, does not etch the steel. Needs the item to be soaked in solution. Safe to use. If the rust has etched the steel it will show when the rust is gone.

If you want a cheap, safe and effective homemade solution, use a strong brew of tea (real tea, not the herbal stuff). Soaking in tea for a few hours will turn the rust black; it can then be easily removed by wiping. I learned this trick from an English clock maker who uses it to remove rust from blued clock hands.

Smollett

Evapo-Rust: http://www.evaporust.com/

This stuff is great and the last time I checked it was cheaper direct from Evapo-Rust (free shipping) than anywhere else. Navel Jelly is an acid and will etch the metal leaving a frosted apperance which is fine if you are going to brown the item or want a French Gray finish but it will need to be repolished for browning or color case hardening. Evapo-Rust is the easiest and fastest solution to use that I have found yet. I believe I will buy a 5 galon can as soon as I run low on what I have. I intend to cut a length of PVC pipe, cap one end and add a screw off cap to the top so I can do barrels and rammers. Oh, there is no manual labor or neutralizing involved either.

Last edited by a moderator:
In his series of work books, Kit Ravenshear recommends a saturated solution of Boric acid, which he claims removes rust but DOES NOT TOUCH the underlying metal. As a famous restorer, I'll go with Kit.

question is, where do you get feed grade molasses if you aren't in a area of the country that would have feed stores for agriculture.
Next what quantity do I have to buy. What kind of price?

Depending on the rust how hard and tough etc.
Plain mustard or vinegar will work also.
As will lime away or it's generic equivalent.

But again, caution must be used both for the gun and the human body.
All three will remove the bluing also and perhaps the color case hardened coloring if left too long.

If the rust is very heavy and stubborn add a teaspoon or so of salt to the solution.
Completely submerge every thing. let soak, swish a bit. any where's from an hour to a day or so, just keep an eye on it.
use a 3m pad or steel wool to wipe away. Repeat if necessary.
now fill the container with water, add a couple tablespoons of baking powder. dissolve well then soak.
this neutralizes the acid. remove wipe clean.
wipe down with denatured alcohol then do whatever you were going to do. blue, brown, polish. lube.

question is, where do you get feed grade molasses if you aren't in a area of the country that would have feed stores for agriculture.
Next what quantity do I have to buy. What kind of price?

I had a spare ROA cylinder the wife left out in a box all winter (long story, she didn't know it was in there). RUSTED....BAD. I saw no hope. I read on the forum of the molasses method. Went to feed store and a gallon was the smallest sold but was only 5 bucks or less. I did 8-1 and soaked for a day. Rinsed and saw good progress. Returned for 2 more days and same, got some q-tips and cleaned up in the nipple recess and soaked another few days. ALL rust removed. Bluing was also affected and need to take care of that but saved a part I would have never though salvageable! Only real problem was the daughter borrowed car before I got the molasses out and tipped it over in the floor of the back seat and sat her trombone on it and about a pint leaked. MESSY! Car stank for a month :shocked2:

This is a very simple, cheap and effective rust removal technique. If you don't have a battery charger, you can use one of the little chargers that come with your cell phone or other rechargeable electrical devices, If you are like most of us, you have a drawer full of them. Pick out one that you can sacrifice. You just snip off the end that plugs into your phone and determine which is the positive wire and which is the negative wire. This is easily done, just pull the wires apart for a few inches and strip off some of the insulation from the ends of the wires. Get a good 9 volt battery and then plug in your charger. Strike one of the bare wire ends against the positive end of the battery. If it sparks, that is your negative wire. If it doesn't spark, it is your positive wire. Put a little piece of tape on it so you will remember which wire is which. Okay, with knowing which is the negative wire and which is the positive wire, you are ready to listen to this video and remove the rust from whatever rusty thing you have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6ArN_ehas

Last edited by a moderator:
Back