• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty barrel optimism question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at the evapo-rust web site,it removes blueing and browning. If your going to refinish after using it,looks pretty good.

If I had a barrel with rusted out rifling, I would likely just bore it out to a smooth bore. Then you can shoot shot or ball.

I for one dont think moderate pitting affects accuracy that much unless it is jagged and cuts the patch and you can even remedy that somewhat with fine abrasives, I'll bet you anything the rifle will shoot fine. Where I see the biggest difference is in the cleaning, it will take a few or in some cases alot more strokes with the patch, to get her clean.

I was considering trying a vinegar-rope finish I'd seen here on the forums and picked some EvapoRust up at a local hardware store recently while looking for Naval Jelly. The product performed very, very well. Had an old 50 cal barrel I thought I'd have to scrap that was salvaged and the blade on an old Elk horn handled Bowie that I've never been able to make look good now has an awesome "aged steel" look to it. Great product!

I did spill some Evapo-Rust all over my barrel and did wipe it off after a minute or so with no affect to the bluing. And remember, no oil on the metal or it won't work properly. I am finding some neat uses for this stuff.No smell either.

I used Evaporust in my used 41' Mississippi rifle bore and my '42 Springfield rifle. The Springfield has a bright finish, so it didn't matter about the finish. I didn't realize that my brown finish on my MS rifle could have been at risk, but I plugged the nipple with some craft foam so it wouldn't leak and filled the barrel to the muzzle with it and let it sit for a few hours. I wiped what I spilled off the barrel; it wasn't on there long enough to do any harm. I had cleaned it hours earlier, so the bore had a coating of Ballistol on it but the oil floated to the top eventually. It takes at least a half hour to work, depending on the severity of the rust. I let it soak while I slept and then rinsed them in the morning. The bores had no rust, the metal was gray where the rust was. I ran a patch down the barrel to get the carbon deposits out, which is a byproduct of the reaction.

Someone suggested taking the barrel off the stock and putting it in a length of PVC pipe and filling the pipe with Evaporust to fix the bore, but if the outside is okay there's no need to do that.

Hello All

I can second the motion on Evaporust
after reading it mentioned here last week
I went and picked up a gallon at my local
Harbor Freigh Tools and used it on a
some what rusty bored Hawken rifle, let it
sit overnite and cleaned her the next day,
no more rust! :thumbsup:

Cheers,Rob

Yes wax the blue you want kept wit heavy furniture or car wax or even clearcoat with lacquer anything that removes rust will remove blue as you suspected!

Yes wax the blue you want kept wit heavy furniture or car wax or even clearcoat with lacquer anything that removes rust will remove blue as you suspected!

On the other hand..., some folks like an "antique" or "patina" finish. Using the molasses or Evaporust, you get a piece of PVC pipe and an end cap and calk it closed to create a barrel chamber, then immerse the barrel in the solution. 24 hours later, remove, rinse, dry, polish, and oil. Now the barrel is "armory white". You can either reblue, or brown the barrel, OR..., you can apply something like yellow mustard, allow them mustard to dry, and then remove it. The vinegar will have discolored the barrel metal. Repeat the process, until you get a finish that you like.

LD

I cleaned out a 54 tc hawken that was hanging on a wall for better than 20 years, worst bore I ever saw, cleaned it with evapo rust and she shoots plumb center, just like 20 years ago when I sold it to the guy. He passed on and I got it back but I dont think he ever cleaned it.

scotch pad first, use a 40 cal jag. clean it. valve grinding compound on shooting patches and shoot it and repeat. you can always do a Coke soak for 24 hours or a vinegar soak9 after the soak use baking soda and water to neutralize the water.
Nit Wit

My shooting pal just showed up in my driveway and gave me a T/C Hawken .45 he'd bought. It is in pretty darn good shape, EXCEPT for the bore. It has rust and from my limited ability to look in, some pitting. I put a back load of patches soaked in Hoppe's and WD40 thru it and it feels fairly smooth.

I know I've got to shoot it and see, but what do you all think of the chances it will shoot well?
Anyone have any good ideas on how to better clean the rust out, or should I just give up and buy a replacement barrel? If so, is there a good place to buy replacement barrels?

I just wanted to say, thanks for the warm welcome to the site, and as always, thanks for the info.
If the crown is good and the bore pitting does not tare patches it will shoot as well as it ever did when brand new. I use and promote Gunzilla for any bore cleaning but use it after water cleaning black powder or pyrodex. My rusty and leaded bores are a thing of the past with Gunzilla use. It will de-solve free bore rust and protect it from further corrosion . It has no water or petroleum in it and is bio safe. It's excellent lube, cleaner and protectant but nothing cleans black powder or pyrodex residue like water and a bit of dish soap initially.
I've never seen anything close to Gunzilla for lead removal on a tight patch.
I have no affiliation with Gunzilla other than being an impressed and enthusiastic user of the product !

I don't know but the bore of my original 1861 Springfield looks like NCOs didn't enforce weapons maintenance......I'll bet it will still shoot ok

I had a T/C Renegade that had a frosty bore and it shot well, I should have kept it

Latest posts

Back