• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty TC Recycle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's this nasty old percussion .50 Renegade barrel. Looks like somebody was shooting pyrodex behind his plastic thingies beneath a red dot. And kinda forgot to clean it for a couple of years. Nasty.
Any how, I got the stock and the trot line weight barrel came with it. And it's got me to thinking. If it gets rebored it'll be good to go. Well, except that the breech is as eat up as the bore. So the steel in the barrel is good. Maybe could make a pistol with twist and rifling pattern of my choice. Or could cut the barrel at the staple and make it large bore 16" flintlock on the Renegade stock with the other existing parts refit.
Hmm, never had a "canoe" gun. Reckon it would be more accurate than hand gun hunting. Better than being a stake for horse shoes? Any yall hunted with a shoulder arm with that short of a barrel?

T/C breechplugs are available, and Bobby Hoyt can rebore that sugly old blister to like-new perfection!

Yeah, let Bobby Hoyt rebore it to a smoothbore if that is what you want or to a .54 if you want a rifle barrel. I'll bet that the breach plug can be salvaged but if not, just buy a replacement. You will end up with a very nice gun for a lot less than the cost of a new barrel.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/667/1

Last edited by a moderator:
For your question about hunting with a shoulder arm with a 16 inch barrel. I have one with a .40 caliber G/M barrel I built from spare parts a while back and I love it (still need to refinish the stock). Squirrels tremble when I take it to the woods and it's a joy to carry all day.
vmry8l.jpg

talked to bobby on fri.. I have the same but in 54cal. he said 60 smoothbore is about as large as you can go. it all depends on how deep the dovetails and screws are. 75 for a smoothbore 125 for a rifled rebore.

Back