• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

S/S cleaning procedure--bathtub?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"WD40 in simple saying is manure"

Can't agree with you there, Frenchman, at least not when you say that it is manure. Properly used, it is an excellent product. It is not a good rust preventive but it is an excellent water displacer. Hence the WD in its name. I have long used WD-40 to remove the last traces of moisture from my guns after washing and rinsing them and running dry patches through them. However, I wipe away all of the WD-40 after it has done its job of removing the final traces of water. Then I use a good gun oil having a rust preventive in it or a good wax to protect my guns.

I suppose that if you made the mistake of slathering a gun with WD-40 and then leaving it in an area of high humidity, it might absorb water and would seem to be "manure" but used properly for what it is intended, it is good stuff.

barbarossa said:
I use one of the old brass fire extinguishers,the kind they use to fill with water and pump on the fire. It is excellent for cleaning BP guns,just fill it up with hot soapy water put the nozzle in the bore and slowly pump the water in the barrel.Works like a charm with very little mess.
Thought I was the only one to use a Rube Goldberg rig for cleaning my long guns. I rigged up a 1 gallon garden sprayer with a 48 inch copper tube that slides into the barrel to the breech. Pump it up with water & a drop of soap with the muzzle pointed downward. It blows every bit of fouling out the muzzle. Spray a little WD40 and wipe with dry patches, oil well & I'm done. Took me longer to type this than it takes to clean my gun. :haha:

nope! I too tried to make a barrel cleaning rig
Failed Misserably I feel like wiley coyote.

I am reminded of an old saying ... the best tools do only one job. K.I.S.S.

Does anyone else use a hair dryer to blow hot air up the barrels after cleaning or is this a bad idea.

Fortunately I'm not a gunsmith, just a retired engineer. Since I apparently don't know any better, I've been using WD-40 for several decades to displace moisture in my barrels after hot water cleaning. Never had any need to use WD-40 in actions or as a lubricant, so apparently I'm not aware of the manure status of WD-40.

I'm satisfied with the results of my hot soapy water clean, hot water rinse and WD-40 moisture removal.

Now, feel free to badmouth the fact that I've been using Barricade ever since it was known as Sheath and I'll confirm that you're out of touch with one of the best rust preventatives in a can.

I didn't mean to blow hot air up the barrel.I meant to use it to dry up any water that might be between the barrels, and then obviously followed up with a rust preventative.
and it is just an untested idea to use in place of compressed air. Use whatever method works and keeps the gun making smoke :v

:2 The method in which you are using WD-40 seems correct. becuase you are not using it as a rust preventative. which is what I think a lot of people mean when they say WD-40 is manure (as a rust preventative).

colorado clyde said:
WD-40 is manure (as a rust preventative).

It's really always best to post things about a product or technique that a person knows from sufficient personal experience or don't post about it at all.

Different parts of the country have different climates, different humidity...some houses are air-conditioned, some are not, different people operate at different levels of quality and attention to detail when they clean/dry/lubricte something, etc, etc.

Its always good to remember that it's virtually impossible to make an across the board statement to a world wide audience that condemns a product or technique without specific instance and/or conditional qualification.

Example:
I've personally used WD40 in a couple dozen muzzleloader barrels year round for 12 years now...bores are always in perfect factory new condition...kept cased inside a climate controlled safe in North Carolina.

I meant will blowing hot air up the barrel until the barrel is hot to dry it out. Will this damage the barrel

Yodder said:
I meant will blowing hot air up the barrel until the barrel is hot to dry it out. Will this damage the barrel
After I clean my barrel, I will pour in some 90%+ rubbing alcohol, swab it out then hit the nipple ports and muzzle with the hair dryer. After that, one more swab with a clean patch before a liberal spraying of WD-40 or Rem Oil depending on what is closest. Then a final swabbing with dry patches to spread the oil and sop up the excess.

The hair dryer hasn't seemed to harm my guns, and I have been doing it for a long time.

As for the WD-40 being manure....
I have a can of Rem Oil and a can of WD-40 that I have been using either or for about 2 years now. I can't decide which is best of the two. Now if they would put 3in1 in a spray can that would rock!

roundball said:

It's really always best to post things about a product or technique that a person knows from sufficient personal experience or don't post about it at all.

Different parts of the country have different climates, different humidity...some houses are air-conditioned, some are not, different people operate at different levels of quality and attention to detail when they clean/dry/lubricte something, etc, etc.

Its always good to remember that it's virtually impossible to make an across the board statement to a world wide audience that condemns a product or technique without specific instance and/or conditional qualification.

Example:
I've personally used WD40 in a couple dozen muzzleloader barrels year round for 12 years now...bores are always in perfect factory new condition...kept cased inside a climate controlled safe in North Carolina.

If I am to read and understand your statememts then I would agree that under ideal conditions WD-40 would be Ideal. unfortunately some of us have less than ideal conditions and need a better product. one that works in less than ideal conditions. I do what I do and use what I use so I don't have to treat my guns like a Faberge egg.
I like WD-40 just not on guns it works great for other stuff.

I accomplished my task of clarifying how and what you posted.
Please keep your links...I'll continue using my first hand experience.

Latest posts

Back