• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sabots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabots are an item that is used to take up the space, and contact the lands, and grooves of the bore of the barrel, when used with an undersized bullet. Such as a .451" bullet in a .50 caliber barrel. The sabot is plastic and holds the bullet, and is inserted into the bore. The sabot transfers the spin of the rifling to the bullet, when fired, and drops off, shortly after exiting the muzzle. These are mostly used in modern, fast rate of twist barrels, as used in in-line muzzleloaders. When used with a sabot, no part of the bullet contacts the rifling of the bore. That's the best explanation I can give.

englishman said:
hi everybody please forgive my ignorance,but what are sabots and what do they do. :hmm:

With respect to muzzleloading, it's actually a component of non-traditional muzzleloading...not a component used in the realm of 'traditional muzzleloading' that this Forum is all about.

Many descriptions can be had by entering "muzzleloading sabots" into Google.

It's an attempt at being a modern counterpart in the world of non-traditional muzzleloading, that the "cloth patch" is in the world of 'traditional muzzleloading'...as in a "patched ball"...ie: patched balls are what you typically find being used in sidelock muzzlelaoders, both caplocks and flintlocks.

After you've explored sabots, come on back and we'll get you up to speed on 'traditional muzzleloading', and I'll bet lunch you'll thoroughly enjoy it!

:thumbsup:

hi roundball, thanks to the people who replied to the thread i am now wiser than i was. roundball thanks for the offer,but i already shoot muzzleloaders the traditional way, and as far as i am concerned it is the only way.i shoot wheelocks ,doglock pistols,mortimer sawhandled duelling pistols,matchlock musket,brownbess musket.blunderbuss,and a hawken rifle.for me this site is the best thing since sliced bread.i learn a lot of the people on it,thanks everybody. :thumbsup:

englishman said:
hi roundball, thanks to the people who replied to the thread i am now wiser than i was. roundball thanks for the offer,but i already shoot muzzleloaders the traditional way, and as far as i am concerned it is the only way.i shoot wheelocks ,doglock pistols,mortimer sawhandled duelling pistols,matchlock musket,brownbess musket.blunderbuss,and a hawken rifle.for me this site is the best thing since sliced bread.i learn a lot of the people on it,thanks everybody. :thumbsup:
That's great...assumed by your posting # and the question that you were new to it all...
:grin:
And I was trying to walk a fine of not wanting to start a dialogue about "inlines" which we don't do on this site, vs. not wanting to appear uninterested in trying to help you.
:thumbsup:

Another way to understand what a sabot is, is to think of its translation: Sabot means " Shoe". In firearm loading, the sabot, or shoe, surrounds a bullet of lesser diameter to shoot out of a given caliber gun. Glad to hear you have not traveled to the dark side and are using the darn things.

Back