• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safari Arms 54 cal Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the others that it is an investarms (they also make lyman) and should be a great gun. I also agree that you may want to end up casting your own balls. You'll get varying input as to what brand molds to buy. I really like my lee molds. You will also want to experiment with .530 and .535 diameter balls and varying thickness of patches (.010, .015) and see what combination works best for you. Personally, I like blackpowder over the substitutes. I also like to shoot the lee r.e.a.l. bullets occasionally. [My lyman great plains .54 is a 1:60 twist.]
You can make your own patches put of pillow ticking. You have lots of options and can have fun experimenting, making your own supplies, or just buying pre-made and concentrate on shooting.
Have fun!

Thanks all for the advice and info on this I got lucky on getting some on the stuff, had family down in the states so they picked up a couple things for me.

Im also in the process of making a punch for 1-1/4 patch size, so I'll see how that goes.

As for casting my own shot tracking down a local source of lead as i type.

Thanks again

Erich.K said:
Thanks all for the advice and info on this I got lucky on getting some on the stuff, had family down in the states so they picked up a couple things for me.

Im also in the process of making a punch for 1-1/4 patch size, so I'll see how that goes.

As for casting my own shot tracking down a local source of lead as i type.

Thanks again

Before you start casting, buy a few different diameters of RB and different patch materials. You will find the combination that your gun likes. No point in buying a mold, to find out that it does not cast the type of balls that your gun likes.

Further, RBs are cheap and easy to get via mail order. The Hornady RB can be had for about $11 per 100. At that price, there is no point casting them yourself.

"Further, RBs are cheap and easy to get via mail order. The Hornady RB can be had for about $11 per 100. At that price, there is no point casting them yourself."

Permission for the new guy to respectfully disagree. All enjoyment factors aside, I can make 32 rounds of .490 RB per pound of lead. Even at today's prices for lead that amounts to about $6.50 to $7 per 100 max. Mail order for $11 per box, plus shipping. Purchase locally for those of us who can is anywhere from $13.50 to $17+ per 100 depending on which store has them in stock.(Gotta love having Cabelas, Bass Pro AND Sportsman's Warehouse all within an hour of me. Actually the latter 3 are 1/2 hour or less away.)

Besides all that, I just enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself, but that's me..

I feel your pain getting stuff around Edmonton.{I live in Bonaccord .}
Wholesale sports North had 54 cal Round balls, and jags, etc, but no real Black Powder. The new Cabellas also had 54 cal stuff. Cabellas does stock Black powder.
You can also order from Wholesale on line and have it shiped to the local store for pickup.The gun counter can also order in for you but they are slow.I wanted a shotgun barrel and it took them 3 months to get it from Calgary to Edmonton, {3 hour drive}. When they called to say it was there I told them it was 30 below zero and the geese were gone. So better order on line yourself.LOL

Guess we're spoiled here in the lower 48. Brown truck brings everything I need for .54 (love 'em), .58, .36, and .44 cap & ball. Everything ordered online from Cabelas, Midwayusa, midsouthshooterssupply, dixiegunworks, or Trackofthewolf. I would think at least one of these would ship to Canada.

The nearby Bass Pro is almost totally .50 with little for the RB shooter in even that caliber, as I recall. More money in moving sabots and powerbelts I guess. They do a decent job stocking for the .44 cap & ball revolvers, however.

Pacobillie said:
Further, RBs are cheap and easy to get via mail order. The Hornady RB can be had for about $11 per 100. At that price, there is no point casting them yourself.

and I'll buy all the .530 you can ship me at that price!

mjac said:
Pacobillie said:

Me too! They're $19.95 a box up here.

As a matter of fact, that's roughly the cost of a LEE mold. Not gonna sell balls when the cost of a single box is the same as a mold to make your own.

Erich.K said:
Here are those pictures

imagejpeg23h.jpg

imagejpeg22s.jpg

imagejpeg2y.jpg

That gun was also made in 1980 as per the AF stamp on the barrel.
Bernie :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
mjac said:
Pacobillie said:

Me too! They're $19.95 a box up here.

As a matter of fact, that's roughly the cost of a LEE mold. Not gonna sell balls when the cost of a single box is the same as a mold to make your own.

I was slightly off. They are actually $13.95/100 for the .530. But still less than what you pay. Link

Personally, I would not want to do that much work, especially if it entails handling a potentially harmful material, just to save a few bucks. How long does it take to cast 100 balls, start to finish?

I guess if you are in it for the authenticity of the experience, it does make a difference.

whats shipping run? Ive seen em cheap in several places like this, but shipping always jacks it back up. Besides, Im one of the lunatics that enjoys making my own :haha:

Do get into casting your own. I get lead for about .80 per pound so about 2.50 to 3.00 dollars will make you 100 RB's Now how fast with a 2 cavity mold at a moderate pace of 4 balls per minute in less than 30 minutes you have over a 100 RB in you pan. Get a mold and it's paid for in about 2 sessions.
Fox :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back