• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sale of lead (sinkers) banned in NY

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well here's a interesting bit of news: The New York State Dept of Environmental Conservation (DEC) banned the sale (or mail order to NY residents) of lead sinkers of 1/2 ounce or less as of today.

Hope this doesn't spread to lead shot & projectiles in general (waterfoul hunting is already limited to non-lead shot). Maybe Remington had a premonition and got the jump on round balls without exposed lead.

I pledge to melt all my lead sinkers into round lead balls and remove them from circulation. Any of you conscientious NY fishermen are welcome to drop your lead sinkers off at my house for proper deactivation.

Maybe Remington had a premonition and got the jump on round balls without exposed lead.

Brass plated sinkers? :haha: :winking:

Better yet, a 25 pound bag of brass plated #4 shot... :haha:

My bess's musket balls are over one ounce, so I can send them to N.Y. Right?

My bess's musket balls are over one ounce, so I can send them to N.Y. Right?

I'm not sure . . . we better test it. Box up a hundred and mail them to me. Better send some powder and a few flints along just in case that comes up, too. Can't be too careful. I'll let you now if they arrive. :haha:

I'm not sure . . . we better test it. Box up a hundred and mail them to me. Better send some powder and a few flints along just in case that comes up, too. Can't be too careful. I'll let you now if they arrive. :haha:

Can't, the stamps needed for mailing to you were printed with lead-based ink... :(

Sorry... :bull:

Bah! :curse:

Maybe I can hook up with an A-10 ground-crewman and have him sneak me out a couple 30mm depleted uranium jacketed rounds in his lunchpail that I can melt into split-shot?

PRB = Previously Radioactive Ball?

PRB = Previously Radioactive Ball?

Lead is the final stable isotope of uranium, see chart below...

chart.gif

There was a notorious local incedent involving two youths, a full-stock .30-40 Krag, some ancient FMJ cartridges, a local farmer's pond, and several really large and completely dead large mouth bass, and a long summer of mending and resetting barbed wire fenceposts and other farm chores.

I still have the Krag. Who knew someone would train bass to beg for food? Ooops.

So,,, do they feel that loosing a larger sinker while fishing is more environmentally safe??? :p ::

In New Hampshire they outlawed the sale of lead sinkers a few years ago to protect Loons. These and other aquatic birds swim to the bottom and swallow small bits of gravel to help them digest their food. Lost and disgarded lead sinkers were making there way into the gullets of these birds and killing them. If you have ever been on a pond at dawn fishing and had one of these birds close by singing their haunting call you would want them protected too. Even when I've gone home with an empty creel, if I heard a Loon call that day it was worth the effort. Its nice to know that us primative shooters may benefit from a conservation effort like this.

Don

Hooooo Ooo!

Yeah, we got Loons. Bunch of them in front of the abortion clinic last week. I have to wade through duck poop from 'wild' mallards that live on the piers. Maybe a few less of them I could suffer through.

I do agree we're trashing this planet faster than it can refresh itself and I and don't mind giving up sinkers. I fly-fish and use ultralight (lead-headed) jigs anymore because I gave up keeping the fish I catch (I'd keep salmon, but since I never catch them . . .). We've been over-exploiting this country since 'we' discovered it ("Discovered" is European for "stolen from aboriginals who we're about to kill with our diseases"). Remember the pictures of ducks with their heads twisted in six-pack rings?

Two years ago on the shoreline near our freshwater marina I managed to chase down on foot and catch a goose chick and release it from monofilament that had snagged around it's wing and legs - the parents complained and postured but took it right back into the group. Wonder what "HSSSSSSS!" means in goose? So now we have so many geese they're allowing hunters to kill five a day.

The tin replacements for the lead split shot take more than a gentle bite to close but thats what pliers are for anyway. Nice thing about conservation is that its brought back species to the point where they are a pain then they become an opportunity for us hunters when people squawk about them being too numerous. Unfortunatly, the two legged loons arn't available to shoot---YET!

Don

Back