• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish/English Wheel Lock "Dags"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaAmos

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi Folks

My name is Josh I am here in WA State. A couple of us are interested in doing some re enacting. Our era is the Border War/Reiver era. I am currently looking for a functioning wheel lock pistol, an authentic functioning replica will do.

I have emailed Dixie Gun Works and a few others but w/o much success. I am really not interested in spending thousands so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

English and Scottish wheellock dags are the rarest of the rare in collecting circles. If my recollection is correct the only proof that they existed at all is references in documents and a couple of portraits.

I can state for certain that no one is making anything like this at the moment. All you will find are german "puffers" and late(r) german and italian pistols.

If you choose to go with any of them, there are others on here better wqualified to speak about price and quality....

good luck :)

Dale Shinn (the Master) is your man . I have been friends with Dale for years and he just keeps astonishing me , last weekend at the Grand Muster at ST Marys MD he had at least eight I had never seen . He brought out the good stuff ,gold ivory every where of all styles . It is not to say that he only makes guns for kings they were his. Dale will build to suit . I believe a good wheellock pistol starts about $1400 and well worth it. Dale will be staying the weekend at my home in VA no his way back to CA (I AM GOING TO PICK HIS BRAIN )and take photos to post . His E Mail is [email protected]

Josh;

Drop me a line, I'm over in Kingston, and have a couple of Dale's items to show off if you're interested in seeing them. Not for sale, of course, but to check out to see if you want to order one from Dale.

Send me a PM if you would like.

Cheers!

Gordon

Back