• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish Musket lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick

Nice job. The lock is a good example using an earlier form of the horizontal sear. Looks like she sparks like a banshee. LOL

Having to add a slight amount of material to the nose of the sear. I know just what you were running into. Original Moroccan snaphaunce locks we find today, about 95% of them will not hold (or barely hold) in the cock position. It's due to the sear nose having been worn down too short from use. And likely, the Moroccan lock makers never hardened anything. LOL

With TRS kit, it's possible that the original lock the castings were made from had a sear with it's nose already worn down (?) Great job with your fix.

Rick
Date wise the lock isn't any mid 17th more early 18th maybe ime looking too close but I have made enough early Scots to have some clues . What relationship it has to Spanish influences is hard to see. I would respectfully suggest you buy the inexpensive booklet on Scots arms put out by Jim Gooding but written by Claude Blair & Robert Woosnam Savage its very well worth the 6$ or so they cost. I bought mine at Fort Ti $5 '95. ' Museum restoration service was 'the publisher which was Jim Goodings

.Of the 28 long arms known recorded only one has the more modern stock form & they date it c 1703 as its it bears that date & attributed to one John Stuwart as its maker . If the Scots where catholic it didn't seem to trouble them while picking of the shipwrecked Spanish ships battling to return to Spain after the defeat of the Spanish armada in1588 from memory .Not much 'Bon'amee' there ! .

I'me not Scottish Ime a Yorkshireman if I did portray a Jacobite & I can roll my Rss better than anyone from Ohio on that account (. It depends on how many marbles you can chew at the same time !)
On that jocular note .
Regards Rudyard

Hi Nick

Nice job. The lock is a good example using an earlier form of the horizontal sear. Looks like she sparks like a banshee. LOL

Having to add a slight amount of material to the nose of the sear. I know just what you were running into. Original Moroccan snaphaunce locks we find today, about 95% of them will not hold (or barely hold) in the cock position. It's due to the sear nose having been worn down too short from use. And likely, the Moroccan lock makers never hardened anything. LOL

With TRS kit, it's possible that the original lock the castings were made from had a sear with it's nose already worn down (?) Great job with your fix.

Rick
Dear Rick Banshees don't' spark' they wail.( Supposedly I never heard one.) Whatever the Moroccan's did the fine blown sand will grind any contact surface the only one I saw in a bedos or oasis dwellers home had its lock wrapped about with rag & haveing been through two days of sandstorm on top of a lorry crossing the Sahara I can confirm that no place escapes that stuff .
Regards Rudyard

Simple but every millimeter matters very much on this lock ,the location of the parts are very critical to its essential function.

For example the sear tooth that engages the tumbler at full cock is very small, there wasn’t much purchase when it had assembled it, it needed around 1-2mm of extra steel on it, so i TIG welded on some steel and reshaped it to give it a full purchase and moving the sear closer wasn’t an option because of the half cock that would rise too close to the bolster and the middle of the plate needs enough clearance for a screw that bolts the lock down.
I was curious as to where the full cock engaged

Pic #1 ... wouldn't display for me as the original file posted was TOO HUGE!

1728943098492.png

Latest posts

Back