• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scouting for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool pics guys... I wish I had some deer around the house to watch too.

Sorry if I have told this before:

Yours and Hobbles pics reminded me of a "pet" hog I had when I was a kid.... I was raised on a farm and when I was about 7 we had a big Hampshire boar that I named Rufus... I used to tie an ear of corn on a big limb and thow it over the fence to Rufus when I got home from school everday. I'd "fish" him for a few minutes before he pulled the ear of corn off. I liked him and he was "mine". A month or so later I came home from school, threw the corn over the fence....and no Rufus. Dad had taken him to the processor! I was so mad I didn't talk to my dad...... until I had that first piece of sauge! It sure was good! :p :D

I truly do love to watch and hunt the whitetail. He is on the top of my list of animals I respect, admire, love to hunt and love to eat!

Anybody else have any deer pics? Live, hanging on the meat pole or otherwise?

Good luck
Wess

Hornbuilder,
That is a Great picture!!Has that Doe been around you since it was little like the one Hobbles has in his Great Picture? :master:

halftail :{

yes i raised two fawns that their mothers were killed on the highway. this is by far the most rewarding thing i have done in my career with the states wildlife agency. the knowledge and enjoyment i have gained is priceless.. the deer are now 4 yrs. old and have made it thru several hunting season's so i guess i haven't ruined them.. :imo:
602103-R1-2.jpg
[/img]
these deer were never penned they have come and gone as they pleased

There are several deer the wife and I see from our house about every evening and night before last I watched one eating a brushy plant in the woods. Yesterday afternoon late I walked out to see what it was, I didn't recognize it. It was sprouts off a smaller tree I'd cut earlier this spring. Anyway, I stepped on the sprouts to push them over to see if I could recognize the bark on the stump. I came back in the house and not 10 minutes later a doe was eating the leaves off that very sprout. Now my scent had to be there and be strong. As I said in my earlier post, I don't believe most deer are much concerned with most human activity in the woods. Go scouting.

Vic

I remember a bowhunt about 10 years ago where I crossed a fence and placed my barehand on the post as I crossed over. I went about 30 yards and climbed a tree...and awaited daylight.

Over an hour after daylight a BIG, long-nosed doe materialized and I saw her raise her head and B-Line for the post and sniff it. Her eyes grew large she nervously looked around and melted back into the brush from where she came.....

I can't wait for the games to begin!

Remembering old bowhunts and friendly[url] deer..brings[/url] to mind a doe I killed back in the 70's. It was an early bow season afternoon and hot in Ga. I had just got in my stand..and old homemade loc on and I used pole climbers to climb up the tree and hook it on. I hung my recurve on a limb, got my climbers off and was soaking wet..so I decided to pull my long sleeve tee shirt off to cool off some. Soon as I got it over my head,I see this big ole doe walking straight towards me at about 30yds. She's looking dead at me and continuing to walk towards me. There I was with my arms stretched straight over my head with my arms still in the tee shirt sleeves. So I tell myself I know she will run but nothing else I can do but keep doing what I was and finish taking the shirt off..no use to be timid about it she's already watching me. So I take my shirt on off reach over grab ahold of my bow..it had an arrow already nocked and one of those arrow holder things holding it. I turn back towards the deer and she's still walking and looking at me..bout 12yds. semi broadside. I swear I didn't really want to shoot her..but what else was I supposed to do? Still feel kinda bad about it this many yrs. later. I was hunting on big track of timber land...cause it did go through my mind if she was sombody's pet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I thought in this modern age, one could go to Walmart and pick out the rack they wanted.

the deer are now 4 yrs. old and have made it thru several hunting season's
4 Years old...that's great!Have they been bred yet?What about their young ones?

halftail:{

yes they have been bred twice this is the second year that i've had little spotted ones running around the farm, i've tried not to to influence the grandkids much other than to make sure they get lots to eat .
they do watch their mothers and sense that i'm a friendly and will mingle around the yard when i'm outside, their great fun to watch and admire, i really love them ( sorry if this makes me sound wimpy ) not that i care mind ya !!
:front:

So, when does everybody start scouting for deer?

Started today..and it's like a sauna in the woods. Everything is wet, yellow flies are unbearable and mosquito's everywhere. Didn't see any deer sign to amount to anything, saw a couple of hogs and heard more giving that long warning grunt when they smell you. Either a big sow or boar hog.

kittens ????
thats really pushing things a bit too far now.. playing with kittens are you for real???? :imo: :sorry: :kid:

The greatest hunter in my house is "Casper" a white cat. He is the slayer of bugs. A spiders worst enemy. And my best buddy.
He loves venison, hamburger, steak, fish and hates shrimp and Italian food. And he thinks he can't sleep unless he's curled up next to me or the Boss.
Wimpy? If you play with him you better play rough and be prepared to bleed. All these scars and scabs on my arms didn't come from just briars.
A born hunter. He learned hide and seek right off as a kitten. Just one intense look in his eyes and the game begins.
If you want to learn about hunting just sit and watch a cat.

And around here we don't call the wild outside cats "Strays" we call them "Barn Cats" and I keep milk and food out to keep them around. The more barn cats that frequent the place the less mice and rats there are to get into the horse feed and eat on my leather tack.

I've already done most of my scouting. This weekend, the 4th is when I start putting up new stands and doing repair work on old ones.

a 6" diameter cedar:

scout3.jpg

an 8"-10" diameter sycamore:

scout2.jpg

Welcome to the jungle:

scout1.jpg

I can't wait to get after them! :D

Back