• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeing Straight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you guys do to keep the front and rear sights from being too fuzzy to properly align??? For me they are a bit fuzzy. I'm getting an Rx to help with that, but then I'm worried about being able to see the target 50 to 10 yds down range. For the time being, I'm working on getting the front to align with the rear fuzz the same way each time. It aint easy. Would be much better if they were both in focus!!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, sse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eye patch. Make yourself a patch for the eye you use to aim with...big enough to cover the whole works from brow to cheek...one you cant see a bit of daylight through.

Now make a small hole in it where you believe your sights will line up. You may have to scoot it around on your headbone until it lines up good, but the help in reducing fuzzy sight paterns is unbelieveable.

I took this a step farther and carved a patch out of soft pine.....concave on one side...convex on the other...painted it bright orange with a big blue eyeball on it in the normal place. Drilled the hole at the proper place, then painted the inside flat black. It seems to work just the same, and I can see the sights much better. I suspect I will get a few comments on the "eye" though.

Olympic shooters use a civilized version of TS method. They use a stick on disk on their shooting glasses. Since we are all into safe shooting habits (cut the laughing out!!) You are already wearing a pair of safty specs and you can buy stick on disks just for this purpose.
Buy the way, no one can allighn all three items: front sight, rear sight and target. It's a physical impossibility that has plauged rifle shooters for 500 years. Some folks can missalighn them less than others, and we call them good shots! That's why peep sights were devloped and are used on military rifles and target rifles to the exclusion of open sights. It's also why I have scopes on all of my modern rifles. As your eyes get older they lose the ability to compensate for the fuzz.

As your eyes get older they lose the ability to compensate for the fuzz.
I know, I know!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've heard of what TS is talking about, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the project. No pun intended.

Thanks, sse

SSE,.... Try push'n the rifle forwards 'bout 3", then aim at a targit. If the rear-sight becomes more distinct, you might consider cut'n a new dovetail 'bout 3" forward of the original one. A dovetail filler-blank can be used to fill the old dovetail.

I did this for several years, then finaly had to git subscription glasses.

Now thet I'm totaly blind,.... "location of the sights" doesn't bother me at all and I consider myself a "master trick-shooter" even tho all the other shooter's "hit the deck" when I git ready to shoot at the rondyvoos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

"Sound-shots" work well when I'm hunt'n,.... but all my old hunt'n-buddies seem to be "too busy with honey-do's" to go hunt'n with me anymore, I think ther jest jellous of my "natural instinctive shoot'n ablity"!! :boohoo:

First off, no one can focus on the front sight, the rear sight and the target at the same time. It is physically impossible, even for a young person.
You might want to try one of these ideas:

1.You need to get a small piece of electrical tape and poke a small hole in it. For best results, this hole should be about 1/32 to 1/16 inch diameter and smooth. A ragged hole will cause the whole sight picture to be fuzzy. Getting a good hole is just about impossible with a drill or an awl but you can buy a leather punch tool at a leather hobby shop with a punch diameter about 1/16 dia. Larger ones will not work well. Poke one hole in the center of a small square of tape.
Apply the tape to the lens of your shooting glasses where your eye will be looking when you aim. For a right handed shooter this place is towards the top and towards your nose. It is not right in the middle of the lens.

2.Another idea is to go to the drugstore and try some of their cheap reading glasses. Start with the low power like 1 to 1.25 diopter and find a place with two objects which are in line, spaced about like your sights are spaced.
Try looking at both objects at the same time. If one or the other is fuzzy try a different power of glasses.
After two different pairs I found a power that works for me. Then it was just a matter of picking out the ones with the large lenses (for protection during shooting).
By the way, these cheap glasses are made of polycarbinate and do give about as much protection as the expensive glasses.

3. Replace the rear sight with a peep sight. This doesn't look bad on a Half Stock rifle and it does great things for the sight picture because you can focus on the front sight and the target fairly well. (It did wonders for my scores).
The only negitive I know of is most shooting matches require open sights, and it looks wierd on a fullstock Kentucky.

'Zonie,.... I cain't see the targit, front-sight, and rear-sight, equaly well now,.... and thet helps when I shoot "competition"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The only negitive I know of is most shooting matches require open sights, and it looks wierd on a fullstock Kentucky.

They also bite during low light conditions when hunting with them...

Now what I do is to wire the deer with old christmas lights and a small generator... That's just silly...

I really dont have that problem, my musket only has a front sight, but it's starting to get fuzzier with each passing year...

Hey sse,

There was an article in Muzzle Blasts about the doohicky described by Ghost - the stick on optical disk. Could swear it was in 2003. Anyway, it's advertised in the mag. Check it out on www.meritcorporation.com

Never tried one myself. Luckily I listened to my elders advice and "stopped doing that" before I went blind. :D

RollingB: When I mentioned the ideas up above I was aiming to give people with simple sight problems that come with the ageing process a few things to think about. I know each one of them works because I've used them.

I am only telling the rest of this story to help those who have the problem I had. Understanding a problem helps people take the fear out of it.

I've been more fortunate than some people. My vision kept getting worse and worse. I had difficulty seeing at night and things weren't much better in the daytime.
At night, a single light looked like a halo of 20 or more lights and when shooting, even the peep sights didn't help. I would see three front sights at the same time, so I finely went to an Optometrist who said, and I quote: "I cant do a damn thing for you. You have Cataracts in both of your eyes and your having the lenses replaced is the only option. Your lenses are clouded and they will only get worse."
This un-nerving advice was unsettling but I resolved that having the operation done was better than going totally blind.
I am fortunate in living in a big city. There are a number of skilled doctors who could do the job.

For those who face this, permit me to say with a good doctor not only will he replace the lens but the new lens he installs will bring your sight back almost to your younger days. My vision now is 20-30 for anything further than 3 1/2 feet. This means I don't need glasses except when reading or trying to see my rear open sight when shooting with open sights
My Doctor wanted to only do one eye at a time so I had the left one done first.
The procedure is painless and only took about 15 minutes. The relaxer they gave me wasn't as strong as one can of beer so there was little danger from it.
The incision is so small it doesn't even need a stitch. Although your natural lens is quite large, they shatter it with ultrasound and remove the pieces thru this tiny cut. The lens they install is also small, but it has self centering features which align it with the center of the iris.
The only special thing I had to do was wear a protective eye patch at night and put drops in my eye every night and morning for a week. When the left eye was healed, the doctor worked on the right eye with equal success.

There is a risk that the operation may not work, but in my case I figured what the hell, I'm going blind anyway.
Following these operations I would go outside and sit and just look at things! Trees! Leaves! Birds! Bugs! Totally amazing!

I thank God and modern medicine for restoring my sight.

I have never been sorry I went thru this. If you are diagnosed with this problem, I say go for the replacement. You won't believe the difference until you see it.

Elmer Keith mentions the disc on glasses lense in his book "Sixguns" and I believe it was first published in the late 40's or early 50's. Keiths use of it dated to the 30's. Also, when shooting anything with front and rear sights your focus should be on the front sight. The rear sight and target will of necessity be blurred. I'm in that age group, 51, where glasses are a way of life and I KNOW, like many of you, how fuzzy the darn things get!! I went to peep sights almost exclusively, except for my ML's. and scopes on my modern rifles. I haven't used the disc yet but the day is coming and coming soon.

Vic

Well I got a new Rx. The Doc did it for nuthin and the eyeglass place says they will change the glasses for nuthin. This will have the effect of doing exactly what rollingb suggests, only without actually moving the rear sight. The closer in location will be in focus, I hope, so I don't have to dig nuther notch in the top flat!!

The Doc did stress the practice of sighting with both eyes open. This is not easy for me to do, cuz I'm shooting righty and am left eye dominant, but I have trained myself to do this almost exclusively, anyway. If this doesn't work very well, I really think the way to go might be the disc. Really appreciate that web site. I had it before, but lost it somehow. Only problem is then we get into "uninsured" issues. I'll try the other doit yerselfers, first, though.

Thanks, sse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Our sight problem was something they had to contend with back in the old days too. I've seen several origional guns with a trail of dovetails on the top flat. As soon as I saw them I knew what had happened. The owner had moved the rear sight several times attempting to compensate for failing eyesight.
Peep sights are period accurate, but not period correct! I have seen peep sights, and good ones too, on crossbows dating to the 1200s and on matchlock target guns dating from the 1400-1500 era. We arn't allowed to use them due to their absence during the era of the long rifle. I don't know of any use of peeps on "traditional" guns.
I did dovetail a peep into the tang of one .45 flinter I built. It blends right into the lines of the gun and no one seems to notice. I even shot a whole match with it once and no one noticed (hee, hee, hee)! Probably didn't care, Im not much of a threat even when I cheat! Historically accurate but not period correct...oh well!

Back