• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Semi-custom rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,
As long as your happy, thats what matters most. You got a very nice rifle and didnt have to settle for something you didnt want, when all was said and done. Congrats!
Send us some close-up pics and tell us how she shoots when you get it! :thumbsup:

LOL.

Just, "Ball and powder"? :rotf:
Yeah, right.............

NOW ya need to get a horn,priming horn,priming powder, powder measure, flints, ball mould,patch knife,patches, lube,RB block,knapping hammer,vent pick, flintlock screwdriver for the hammer,ball starter, cleaning patches, etc, and fit that all in a possibles bag if you dont have one yet. :haha:

The madness has only begun. :wink:

Order up a few catalogs and park 'em in the bathroom with a pad of paper and pencil. Oh, and you may want to start thinking about putting an addition on the house to keep it all in.

I have only held one at a swap meet one time. In fact the guy that had it called it southern mountain rifle also,so I guess they are easy to get mixed up. But that doesn't matter as long as you like it.I have not shot one but I would like to. I have thought about trying to get one myself because I like the looks of them. I have been told that they are uncomfortable to shoot in big calibers because of the cresent buttplate but that shouldn't matter in a .040. I know alot of guys do like them in the big calibers so I guess it depends on the person. I have also heard that some folks like the L&R locks and some don't. I havn't had one so I don't know. But I wish you both luck with your swap and I hope you all will be happy. Let us know how she shoots when you get her.Dew

.40 caliber is easy on the shoulder and won't be an issue in one of those excellent Southern or Tennessee rifles. Consider it something like the .243 suppository rifle. .45 is pretty okay too but by the time you get to .50 the style of butt plate becomes a big issue.

Jimmy I can buy almost everything I need at Cabela's. Everything but .40 balls and Goex powder. Those I will have to order.

Jim

Neighbor,
Cabela's is a sweet, but overpriced toy store. ( I still love to stroll through though ).
But just like your custom rifle, your gonna soon wanna trade in the "made in India" cow horn for a custom scrimshawed one, and you'll want a custom bag too and then you'll start seeing all the "traditional-style" hand-forged goodies in the forums and Cabela's goodies are gonna start to seem pretty pale in comparison. But, I'm just pulling your leg a bit. Cabela's is a good start, have fun!

Latest posts

Back