• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seneca Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54deland

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of acquiring a 45 cal Seneca, and can't seem to find a hotshot nipple for this rifle; doesn't appear that they make one for the Seneca. Any advise as to what nipple works best? Also wondering about powder selection. I've searched and read some post, opinions seem to vary between ffg and fffg. Thompson's load information lists ffg for the 45 Cal; any reason I couldn't use fffg with a maxi or a prb?

I've used hot shot nipples from Track for my Seneca. They seem to work fine. I like 40 to 50 grains of fff Goex and PRB, watch the classified ads on this forum, I'm thinking of putting it up for sale in the near future.

The proper Seneca nipple is a short cone version of the standard .250-28 nipple. At Track of the Wolf it is catalogued as #PST-S. Currently $3.99.

I went to dixions yesterday to get a nipple for my Cherokee. He said he was glad i Told him it was a Cherokee cause they are a weird thread. I cant tell you now but tomorrow i can look at the details if you'd like?

The size listed in bobbo's link agrees with the Dixie Gunworks catalog and Track of the Wolf.

They all say the Thompson Center Seneca and Cherokee use a #12-28 threaded nipple.

TOTW #12-28 nipple about 1/4 way down

The #12 thread is considerably smaller than a 1/4" thread, being only .216 in diameter.

Some caution needs to be given when buying a nipple for the Seneca and Cherokee because there are also nipples with a M5.5 X 0.9mm thread that is very close to a#12-28 thread. These are made for the Uberti revolvers.

I found a hotshot for the Seneca, also fits the Cherokee, and Patriot......need to buy a couple more.

FWIW, I've been successfully using FFFg of Holy Black for a looooong time, in ALL my front stuffers - cap & rock lock alike (pan included) - from .36cal through .45 & .50, to .54cal.

bull3540 said:
Usually 3f is going to give better results in a .45 but every rifle is going to be a little different, so to start with I would suggest using 3f then later on you can always try 2f.

My TC Hawken 45 shoots so well with 70 grains of 2F Triple Seven I have never seen any reason to use anything else it it. The Goex is saved for the other rifles.

Back