• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SETN Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majg1234

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The Tn ML season is in fullswing and I've been trying to make meat with my TVM 58cal early va rifle.Some of you may recall I got the rifle last year from Matt it arrived the day before Christmas Eve.I finally gotaound to shooting her about 3-4 weeks ago."Boomer" shoots really well with 120gr Ffg goex,.562 hand cast RB.20gauge wool wad over powder and .018 ticking lubed with beeswax and Olive oil.
Anyway I'd hunted several days saw a lot of deer small does mostly with a scattering of spike buck which on our lease we can not shoot without a fine being levied.

Early AM on the 11th saw a LARGE spike but passed to avoid the $100 fine.About 3pm this Doe walked across a logging trail I was watching,She hesitated a little too long...."Boomer" spoke and she dropped in her tracks.It was a measured 77yrds she was #110 live weight and should be some good eating :thumbsup:

This is my second FL deer, having killed one previously with my 40 Cal S MTN rifle.I belive I'm hooked and maybe the grandson too 'cause he asked "PawPaw when can I get a flinlock"?He was hunting with an old resurected Hawken I built in the 1970's.

Many thanks to all on this site for all their help and a special thanks to ROUNDBALL for information as I was having "Boomer" built.

IMG_0267.jpg

Great going!!! Very nice looking rifle...............watch yer top knot............

Good deal on the hunt, and a beautiful rifle too...plus, "Boomer" says all that needs to be said about a .58cal...congratulations!
:hatsoff:

That looks like a really nice doe.
Lots of nice meals to look forward to.
Especially on the cold winter days.
There is just a good feeling to know the
freezer is full and an extra special feeling
knowing how it got there.

PJC

Thanks for all the kind remarks ya'll :grin: ,CynthiaLee our deer are all really heathy on the lease,we often take doe in the 140-150lb range.Two years ago a lady took one that weighed 180lb :shocked2: The bucks on average are 180Lbs.
I can not begin to thank everyone on this site for all the help,and you know what? some of the folks in the club are starting to ask questions about flinters and it is not "will that thing shoot"?? :grin:

The bucks are starting to run doe now so after the rain today I'll be back out looking for more fun and groceries with my flinters :hatsoff:

Sweeeet! Nice job on the doe and I have to say, those TVM Early Va's sure are beautiful guns.

Jeff

good stuff :thumbsup: beautiful photo of your deer and rifle :hatsoff:

well we've been in this mode on spikes for about 8yrs now (I've been on the lease 12yrs) and what we've seen is more big deer and largeA racks as a result!!! The Tn Wildlife Resources agency reviewed our spike kills and agreed with what we thought was that these were not "cull" bucks but actually younger dear.I've taken 1 spike since we started the rule but he was obviously an older dear confirmed by TWRA tooth analysis that he was about 4yrs old.In that case the"fine"was waived.A spike buck that is old looks a lot different from a young guy,you just need to be aware of how different they appear to be sure

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back