• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shaping flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blooch

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Howdy everybody! I'm new to the blackpowder game but have an interest in many forms of shooting. I am a compettive skeet shooter and love to hunt and shoot any kind of gun I can get my hands on.

In reading about flintlocks and cruising around the net looking at what it takes to shoot various forms of black powder, I noticed the various suppliers of flints. Is shaping flints hard to do? Black flint is VERY plentiful in my area and was just wondering.

It's so simple a caveman could do it! Actually, I haven't yet tried it myself, but there are several books on the subject and all are encouraging that it is not beyond the capabilities of the average person. Gunflints seem to be among the easiest of the flint objects to get to the right shape.You'll save a lot on gunflints I think.

Basic flint shaping is the same method used for arrow heads, there are many tutorials on youTUBE that go into detail.

This will get you started so you can pull off some spalls:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuzh1uaSf4&feature=related[/youtube]

I just tried this method out with a chunk of French Amber flint I happen to have and it only took three tries before I was able to pull off a thin 2 x 2 inch spall.

i use a MIZZY WHEEL on my dremel tool to sharpen my flints.

i got idea from ROUNDBALL years ago.

If you find one of the books with illustrations on making flints it won't take long to get the hang of it you can strike off a long flake then break into pieces that gives you the kind that TOW sells or you can strike off spalls from a piece and these sometimes have 3 sides that will work in the gun, I can't think of the books right off that have the info you may be able to Google it up or someone here may chime in, don't heat the flint to make it work better when making gunflints/spalls, they will wear down faster.The book "Colonial Frontier guns" by Hamilton has some usefull info and drawings, it is a cheap book and also offers some good info on the 18th century trade guns and hunting fusils.

Yea,right so easy a cave mnan could do it! Some of us just cann't get it down, after a few dozen attempts you realise why those who depended on knaping flint believed in evil spirits and magic!

you go to knapping gunflints and yer gonna have all kinds of unsavory characters loitering around yer camp! :rotf: welcome to the MLF!

Just bought my first flintlock today. How long should I expect each flint to last? How close to the frizzen should it be mounted?

Old School 117 said:
Just bought my first flintlock today. How long should I expect each flint to last? How close to the frizzen should it be mounted?

A good flint will last up to 50+ shots or more, some only last a few shots, it depends on the type of flint and flint placement.

There are different types of flints, Black English, French Amber and even cut agate flints (like what T/C uses). In my opinion, the cut flints last the shortest amount of shots, whereas the Black English flints last an extremely long time.

There are many theory's as to what would be the best distance to set the flint/frizzen gap, some have the flint touching, others have a small gap showing. Your gun will let you know what it likes the best in due time.

One thing to keep in mind when setting the flint in the jaws is to lower the flint to the full fired position and make sure the flint doesn't bottom out on the pan, if it does the flint will shatter and that could be the last shot from that flint.

Then there is the bevel up / bevel down debate, again, try it both ways and see which gives you the most number of sparks.

Hope this helps.

t/c used to rec.that the flints have a knickel distance from frizzen and bevel down.

when my flints get short, that is way i use them as the jaws will not hold them if out to far.
if you use bevel up when the flint is short, it will fall out of jaws because you have to have it out more than bevel down..

long flint, i use bevel up and 1/16 away from fizzen, on a short flint, always bevel down and about knickel away.

Does a portion of the flint wear off with each shot or does the thing simply break after so many shots? Does the frizzen ever wear out. Sorry about the newbie questions.

Little bits of the sharp edge break off each time. (The sparks, however, are little hot bits of steel scraped off of the frizzen.) Eventually, the flint edge becomes dull and will then quit producing adequate sparks. Sometimes reversing the bevel will prolong the life of the flint by re-sharpening it with use. Or you can resharpen the flint with a knapping awl (I think that is the right terminology).

The frizzen can wear out. How long that takes depends on the quality of the steel and tempering. It can be repaired, I have read, by attaching a thin layer of hardened steel, but that is beyond my capabilities. I am relatively new to flintlocks, having fired only a few hundred rounds through my two rifles. So far, no problem. If you have a good quality lock, most likely you will wear out before the frizzen does; I expect to, but then I am no longer a spring chicken, more like late winter. :grin:

Anyone with instruction for hammering or shaping the flints with a flint hammer? I know absolutly nothing about this.

If you value your flints, don't buy a knapping hammer. If you insist, send me a PT with your mailing address, and I will send you my old knapping hammer. I haven't used it in years.

INSTEAD: With the gun empty, put the hammer on the half cock notch, and then use your Left thumb's outside edge to lift the frizzen up until when you lower the cock so that the flint's edge will touch the frizzen, its touching at the bottom of the raised frizzen. Now, hold the frizzen at that location, making sure your thumb is back away from the face( avoid cutting). Cock the hammer to full cock, and pull the trigger. The flint will strike this lower end of the frizzen at the " heel ", and the very severed angle of impact will remove a thin part of the edge across the entire width of the flint. The blow will knock off a sharp angle from the bottom edge of the flint.

This is all the Knapping You will ever need to do, either in mounting the flint to squared the edge in the first instance, or to re-square the edge when you have to move the flint forward as its used.

The flint should not touch the frizzen when the cock is in the half cock notch. I prefer to see 1/32" of daylight between the frizzen and the front edge. Now, lift the frizzen up and open, so that you can manually lower the cock all the way forward. The flint should be set in the jaws so that the inside edge does not scrape or strike the barrel as the cock falls, and the flint should not extend so far forward of the jaws that it strikes any portion of the frizzen pan. That is how you determine the correct POSITION of the flint in the jaws for best functioning.

In a good lock, the flint should point to the middle or slightly forward of the center of the pan. If it points so far forward that the edge is looking past the front of the pan, you are going to have trouble getting the sparks into the pan for quick ignition. If the flints points behind the pan, you will also have that problem.

With each shot, the flint will break off a bit of the edge, giving you a new edge for the next shot. Remember, you are cutting steel, so a new edge is a good thing! But, this also wears down the flint, and the sparks being thrown will move from the front side of the pan, to the center, and then to the rear of the pan.

Check this, with an empty gun and empty pan, by holding the gun out at arm's length, so you can look at the pan when the cock falls, and fire the lock. Watch where your sparks are actually landing. Final adjustment of any flint is based on where those sparks are landing. Sparks that miss the pan aren't doing you any good at all.

When YOu move a flint forward, from wearing back, use a twig or small piece of wood to hold the flint and flint wrap forward. A good flint will give you more than 80 strikes in a well tuned lock. Tuning means the springs are not so heavy that they are crushing your flints when they strike the frizzen. Tuning means the angle of impact of the flint is 60 degrees, and that the edge of the flint strikes the flint between 60 and 66% percent of the distance UP from the bottom of the frizzen face. That insures that the frizzen will be knocked back and open to give clearance for the sparks to be thrown into your pan.

Widening and lengthening the pan will give a bigger target for your sparks, and allow you to get more shots out of a flint that is wearing down before you have to move it forward, or, finally, replace it.

Tuning the lock also means addressing the contact point between the frizzen cam and the upper arm of the frizzen spring, so that there is NO tension from that spring resisting the frizzen from opening when struck by the flint. The only tension needed from the frizzen spring ( Or feather spring) is to keep the frizzen close when the muzzle is pointed down. This keeps any priming powder from falling out of the pan if you have to point the muzzle down for some reason. The tension of the feather spring is NOT for the purpose of helping the flint edge DIG into the frizzen face. The flint scrapes steel from the frizzen. If you flint is gouging the frizzen, the lock needs to be tuned.

See my article on shooting and tuning flintlocks under " articles " in the Member Resources section at the top of the index page to this forum. If you have questions about tuning your own lock, send me a PT. I have some techniques that are not described in that 2004 article that I have learned since I wrote it.

blooch said:
............. Black flint is VERY plentiful in my area and was just wondering.

Hey Blooch,
Any chance of getting one or two of those USPS bulk ship boxes of that stuff? I would like to try mt hand at knapping flints and stone arrow heads....

Hey Blooch,

Where are you in TEXAS? I live in Georgetown, we have great flint to. I make all my own gunflints, they work as well as the storebought English ones as far as I am concerned, maybe better.

YHS,
rawdog

Latest posts

Back