• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharpening Hawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkthomas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone file the sides of their hawk to taper the cutting edge in order to have the hawk stick better? Two guys with good scores at our last hawk throw both filed their hawks to achieve a thin profile on the hawk cutting edge (about 1/2" back from the edge). Is this a technique to achieve good performance? I noticed those tapered hawks could stick into different density of wood where the un-tapered or factory edge (even though sharp) hawks couldn't.
Rich Thomas

I did it tomine! It does make a difference in "stickability"!
I have filed some and put others to a belt sander lightly, and kept the heat down.
...theory,....go try to push your finger into a chunk of pine...no go try to push a needle in,....what are the results???
no one said you could'nt sharpen it. It would put one on the same playing field and have the same advantages to those who dont have sharpened hawks.

I am certain there are disadvantages also, such as chipping, breaking, ect.

my $.02,

Brett

For a working axe, the bevel should be about 45 degrees. For a throwing axe, it works better with a 30 degree, or even thinner bevel. However, be careful to not hit knots, or stales, or nail as the thinner bevels will not support the edge well enough to keep it from chipping out.

I use a double bevel approach to sharpening my throwing axe. It has a 30 degree aproach bevel, and then I raise it up to put a fine edge on the very end of the axe. Probably about 45 degrees. This is done with a fine arkansas stone, after which I strop the edge on a leather belt. When I spend the time, you can shave with that edge. However, I am only interested in getting it to stick well in the wooden target butts. BTW, a straight razor will have an " Approach " bevel of about 22 degrees. A splitting wedge should have a 90 degree bevel. A working axe- as in two hand axe, should have a 60 degree bevel. The smaller hand axe used to cut sticks and firetools works best with a 45 degree bevel. If you have one of those hammer wedges- looks like a splitting wedge, only narrower, and has a long handle on it like a pick axes, it should be used with a 60 degree bevel, too, even if its being used to split stumps. The reason for the wider degree edge on the splitting wedges is that they are normally held against a log, and then hit with a sledge hammer. If you do that kind of thing with a smaller angle, you are likely to chip the edges. It has to do with steel hitting steel with the onther end being dampened from vibrating by the log or stump. Splitting wedges are also used after a split is already created, to widen the crack, and walk the split down the length of the log. It is truly an inclined plane being used for that primary purpose, and not as a substitute for an axe or knife edge. To use a splitting wedge properly, you set it in line with either the growth rings, or with the radial fractures.

The reason you need the finer angle on the bevel of a throwing hawk is that you can't be that precise, and you are more likely to be driving the edge into cross grain. Most of the current throwing axes are soft enough to be filed, and you are more likely to gain good control using a file, than using a powder grinder. It will take you some sweat and time to file the bevels to the proper angles, but once done, they last for years. Good throwers touch up the edges on their axes before every practice, and every competition. Some keep a honing stone( Black Arkansas) with them at the line, to hone away any nicks in the blades.

I thin mine down a lot and it makes a difference. They also chop softwood very well. I stay away from chopping hardwood.

I can't say for others but I use mine for other things besides throwing soooo mine will almost shave you, and yes it does make a difference in the sticking power. A sharp hawk will stick even in oak or hard maple. My practice blocks are of each of these. A tomahawk is a tool and as such some times has to be modified(sharpened) to fit the needs of the user.
Just the ramblings of an old fart.
Halfstock :hmm:

Latest posts

Back