• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps Rifle - Yore Supply Tubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 63 Shiloh sporter in 50 cal. have shot it sparingly over the last several years. I use Charlies tubes and find them very easy to use. The most trouble I've had was an adequate bullet in 50 cal. Bought direct from a guy in Wis that work well. i really need to get it out and shoot it. They are fun.

I have a 63 Shiloh sporter in 50 cal. have shot it sparingly over the last several years. I use Charlies tubes and find them very easy to use. The most trouble I've had was an adequate bullet in 50 cal. Bought direct from a guy in Wis that work well. i really need to get it out and shoot it. They are fun.
My 1863 sporting rifle is also a 50 caliber. I was fortunate to get the Shiloh trash can or barrel bullet mold with it. 460 grain I believe. I’m told it’s s good bullet for this model.

I stand corrected they are 50 cal 385 grain.

Thanks,
O.R.

Last edited:
Ok guys-

Yes, Charlie Hahn is alive and well.

Charlies tubes are great BUT not absolutely necessary.

Yore tubes- tried them. hated them. gave them away.

Charlie's conversion- works but I prefer Larry Flees. Difference is Larry's is reversible while Charlies is permanent.

One other serious comment. NO replica Sharps will shoot well UNLESS you KNOW the bore diameter. I have a pair of IAB 1863 carbines. Both are marked .54cal BUT the bores on both take a .555 bullet. As with any other black powder replica, bullet to bore fit is critical for accuracy and you can never rely on what somebody says it is or what somebody says the mold casts at.

sharpsgroup1.jpg

Thank You !! for all your responses. Much appreciated.
Thank you, all of you for starting this thread and putting up with my questions on and off topic. I’ve been into black powder and muzzleloaders for almost 50 years but I’ve had no exposure with these Sharps percussion rifles. Now I’ve gone from zero knowledge to knowing just enough to make me dangerous <G>

Thanks,
O.R.

The trash can design is what I got from the Wis. guy wish I could remember his name, (Kaboskey I think), nice guy, very prompt on service. I was surprised though with the amount of powder needed. It is much less than I had imagined. 45 grains of Fg seems to be a very accurate load in mine. I spoke to the owner at Shiloh, way back when I ordered it and he said his son shot his without any case, just loaded the bullet into the breech and dumped loose powder behind it. I tried that but it was, or I was ,too messy. I guess your suppossed to take the breech plate apart to clean it. Charlie was also a great help when I was trying to learn to shoot it. damn now I have to get it out. Wish Ill. would allow us to use it deer hunting. I got yhe foldable front sight on it and a tang for the rear. I believe I got set triggers too. It's a nice set up when I took it to the range everyone had to look at it.

Moose Moulds makes a trash can mould.
I went with the Christmas Tree because I already knew it shot well when I ordered some with the gun.
I wanted the Berdan model with the set triggers because I knew I would be scoping it, but the one I ordered was in stock. It has a nice enough trigger.

Latest posts

Back