• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharptail Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was visiting a local wma that's being managed for Sharptailed grouse. I've never hunted these birds before, what would be a good 12 gauge ml load for hunting them this fall? Thanks

The couple of times I've bumped into them antelope hunting leads me to believe that a full choke might be more important than a perfect load combo. Even when I knew where they were and tried to sneak a peak, about 70 yards was the best I could do. Very gun-shy where I've seen them. If I was going to hunt them I'd be all in for opening day. The Huns were much easier. When I shotgunned a lot I preferred #6 for upland because it seemed to carry better w more oomph for long shots, and since there were fewer pellets, it did less damage on the short ones. SW

Back