• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shootin' Josey Wales Style

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow tac! I'm quite surprised that such a small load was able to damage your gun that way! Is it possible that the chamber didn't line up well or something? Do you know if the diameters of the chambers and throat are correct?

I sure would like to have a Walker on my needs list...

Pyrodex should be an equal equivalent to BP though. I could certainly understand not filling up the chambers with T7. It ought to be able to handle it.

Great video. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your efforts.
BFJ

I like my Remington and 1860 Army but after a day at the range shooting them both I know why our Grand Fathers stayed with the new fangled cartrige guns! Geo. T.

Nice video Mike! I win competitions with my Uberti Walker. I use a custom-built pistol loading stand a friend made for me to maintain consistent pressure on the ball as it gets pushed down onto the wad & powder. Every once in a while I get to shoot it at a 135 yard Gong! Even with 50 grains of FFFg Goex, it still takes a while to get there, lol!

Have a good New Years!

Dave

Thanks for the video. I've been watching some of your other videos and been learning a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Yes I shoot in NJ! The Old Bridge R&P Club's Black Powder League will shoot this Sunday at our Outdoor Range. The Shoot starts at 9:00 am for pistols, and then we'll do rifles after that. Non-Members can shoot all day for only $20, so if the cold won't scare you, you can get some smoke on yer face--and it's only about 15-20 minutes drive from Keyport!

PM me for more details, directions, etc.

Dave
NRA Life Member

Great video and good shooting Mike!

The Walker sure is a beast...I have a Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon, which I think is pretty fair chunk of steel to be shooting one handed.... :grin:

nice video - thanks for the post ... now i gotta rewatch the movie (in my not so copious spare time) ...

:wink:

rodwha said:
Wow tac! I'm quite surprised that such a small load was able to damage your gun that way! Is it possible that the chamber didn't line up well or something? Do you know if the diameters of the chambers and throat are correct?

Well, as you can imagine, having paid around a $1000 back in 1986, I wasn't about to go at it ham-fisted when I removed the wedge. I'm an experienced metal-worker [I build live steam model locomotives, and run 'em] so I'm experienced in the varying feel and quality of metallic materials. I can tell you that this wedge was about the same as half-hard brass of the same bulk, hence my snottogram letter to Colt BP Firearms in Brooklyn NY. All lines up perfectly, BTW, and always did.

The replacement wedge from our friends at DGW has worked perfectly since I got it, about three months after the original failed on me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a panty-waist shooter by any means - I DO shoot a 600gr bullet over 110gr of FFg from my .451 target rifle, and I have actually tried stuffing the chambers of the Walker on occasions, just to remind myself of what it's REALLY capable of. However, as I've mentioned, BP shooting depends mostly on me cadging the stuff off a generous pal, and 240gr of the holy black is a lot easier for folks to be 'generous' with than 350gr every time I limber up and let loose.

tac

I figured that since a Walker could take a 60 grn charge vs the few side lock .50 cal guns only taking a 45 grn charge that maybe the Walker would make a better hunting pistol where the weight wouldn't be so much of an issue.

The wedge being soft is horrible, but it sounds as though there is a replacement part of better quality if one finds they need it.

Far from the top of my list, but game on!

Try shooting 45-50gr of 2F vs the 40gr of 3F. Keep in mind 2F wants a bit more ramming pressure than 3F, but no the 80lbs. of Pyrodex. Lower pressure, softer fouling, and usually a bit better accuracy than 3F.

Mike,

On your video I noticed that several times you paused and re-indexed, it looked like, the cylinder by hand. If so, is that in fact what you were doing? What was the issue? Did the bolt not properly lock the cylinder in battery? Could that be related to the oval locking notch of the Walker and first model Dragoon?

I notice on all of my Italian cap and ball repros the cylinder is bolt is always timed too late and peens the cylinder locking notches. I routinely re-time the bolt by filing the leg shorter that rides the hammer cam so that the bolt snaps up into the cylinder locking notch lead. Of course the Walker bolt notches don't HAVE a lead, so I don't know what I'd do there.

Back