• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting an unfinished rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am expecting a Haines from Tip Curtis in mid-December, just in time for late ML season in MD. It is coming "in the white" with a coat of oil on the stock. My plan is to leave the barrel in the white and age it gracefully.

Will it hurt anything to sight it in and possibly hunt with it with just 1 coat of oil on the stock and the barrel in the white??

I really want to hunt with it this year!!!

It shold not hurt a thing. I have a rifle that has only 1 coat of finish on it and I have been using it for 10+ years. If the weather is going to be nice, take it out. If is snowing or raining, put a light coat of stock wax on it. -On both metal and wood and when you get home, clean it and make sure it is all dry before storing it.
Hope this helps, Brian

I shot my .40 in the white with nothing on the wood. The black that gets on it comes off with light sanding.

Berk

Thanks ya'all,

I'm gonna hunt with it hopefully....

I'll put some protection on it.

I think it is a good idea to shoot an "in the white" gun you may find you want more wood off the wrist, comb. or other minor changes that would be better done now.

Bill, if your gun is like an "in the white" rifle I got from Tip a couple of months ago, the "coat of oil" might look a lot better than you expect.
Mine looked better than a lot of finished rifles I've seen. Here are a couple of pictures:

TipCurtis-7.jpg

TipCurtis-6.jpg

That looks great. I talked to Tip today and he advised me to put a few (20) coats of finish on the wood before taking it out in the woods. I think I'll take his advice. Although I don't know if I can wait for the full 20. He's sending me a can of the finish he uses.

I hope my rifle looks as good as yours. He picked a piece of wood he said would make me very happy. I think I'll leave the barrel in the white to age on its own. It will be here next week. I can't wait.

I think you'll be pleased with the gun. I picked mine from the guns he had on the rack in his shop, and I didn't see a single gun that I wouldn't have been proud to own. :thumbsup:
Make sure and post some pictures when it shows up. :grin:

Back