• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bougalee said:
Like to cook them down in a heavy roux, for a couple of hours. Think I'll see what I can find in the freezer, the thought of it all is making me hungry. :wink:

Bougalee,

Howdy from Thibodaux! Any good public areas for hunting squirrels nearby? Would love the chance to put my .36 caliber T/C Seneca to work.

Cleburne

Cleburne

No, the only public hunting area that I know of is the Salvador WMA in St. Charles Parish and it is mostly marsh. Good for ducks, rabbits and deer, but not so much for squirrel. Though you may occasionally see some greys on the Cypress Canal off of Lake Catouchee. I would think there would be better squirrel hunting in the Thibodaux area, though I can't think of any public land in that area. By the way, my wife is from Thibodaux, but I won't hold that against you. :grin:

By the way, my squirrel stew turned out great. I would post a pic, but I don't know how.

I like them fried, in gravy, in chowder, but I think my favorite is to make cakes like you would salmon or crab. I boil them until they flake. Mix the meat flakes with Italian bread crumbs, egg, a little milk, seasonings, and some diced onions. Form into patties and fry. Get out of my way or you'll pull back a stob. My papaw eats the brains in eggs. Never got that hungry. Lol. I just got a Crockett kit recently. I'm anxious for squack season.

Poke around here a bit and you'll find my recipe for squirrel pot pie posted in response to someone else's squirrel topic. Can't remember which thread and, sorry, too tired to type the whole thing out again right now. I will say that the secret (which I learned in the last year or so from someone who's pot pie I always liked better than my own) is to steam the squirrels, not boil them, until the meat slides from the bones easily.

As to how many per diner? Can't really say. For the average appetite, squirrel to a squirrel and a half. I'm not a real big fella but I eat like two people half again my size (or so I'm told) so a squirrel and a half or two with some veggies is bout right. But, I also don't eat much if any bread (experimenting with non-wheat flour pie crusts is in progress) which leaves room for the good stuff.

Thank you all for some great recipes & good stories.
Now I can't wait for this hip deep snow to go, and try out my new/old "squeerl" gun.
Behind the house is two to three thousand acres of hickory and oak bush land.
There should be one or two young tree rats there.
All the best! :grin:
Fred

Yes, Lord, yes!! Squirrel gumbo made with a nice dark chocolate colored roux. Oh my!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mon Dieu! Just had some squirrel, with white beans & rice, with roux on top, flavored with T Pierre's Cajun seasoning. Si C'est bon. It is good to be Cajun, bien sur!

Oh Bill I pass through Georgetown frequently as my son lives in Austin. Austin is a nice town, but the traffic is terrible.

I was going to barbecue squirrel but had no sauce, so i simmered them in french dressing. now it is my favorite way of doing them.

We have only used two ways to cook squirrels, fried and pot pie & dumplings. The young ones get fried, you can tell the young ones when you break the leg bones. If the bones bend before breaking, they are young, if they just snap, they are old. Flowered and fried, like chicken, until they are golden brown. Pour 1/2 cup of red, white or rose wine, of your choice, into the skillet, cover, turn the heat down and simmer an additional 15 minutes. Scrape up the goodies, after you remove the squirrel pieces, and make gravy from the drippings. The old ones get boiled in water, seasoned with salt, crushed black pepper and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, to give it character, until the meat falls off of the bone. Remove from the heat, and when cool enough, and remove the bones. Return the meat to the pot, bring to a rolling boil, and drop in the flat dumplings, one at a time, and cook until the dumplings are done. Serve with mashed potatoes......Robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunt squirrels in areas they seldom get hunted and often kill ancient squirrels so tough you can barely get the skin off them.

12 minutes in a pressure cooker at 15lbs pressure before I fry them makes them as tender as youngsters.

Eric Krewson said:
I hunt squirrels in areas they seldom get hunted and often kill ancient squirrels so tough you can barely get the skin off them.

12 minutes in a pressure cooker at 15lbs pressure before I fry them makes them as tender as youngsters.
Little known trick in much of the muzzleloading community are those pressure cookers. Thy make quite a difference in overall time adn tenderness...good old trick. :wink: :haha:

Back