• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Sticks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you fellows have pics of your shooting sticks. Especially the methods for binding them together, dimensions, etc.

I'm thinking of making a set.

Thanks

Capt. Fred said:
Do any of you fellows have pics of your shooting sticks. Especially the methods for binding them together, dimensions, etc.

I'm thinking of making a set.

Thanks

i've used modern versions of them a few times, up in alaska. very effective and easy to pack, and they don't weigh you down like a bipod does...

hm.. i'd think, between a half inch and an inch square on the sides for the sticks, and make them long enough to comfortably support you in your chosen using position.

maybe six to eight inches for prone(why bother!), maybe a two to two and a half feet for sitting, and five feet plus for standing.

i reccomend using them from the sitting position. don't make them low enough that you hunch down, your heartbeat will make your sight picture beat up and down. you want your back straight in order to be most comfortable and affect your sight picture the least.

binding can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

these, sold by the possible shop
98-731.jpg

use a wooden bit to keep them together. you could easily keep it to leather lacing if you wanted. or you could use a long heavy nail(a heavy nail from home depot will do if a period nail is unavailable) and a pair of washers, then beat the pointy end down into a rivet. if you go that route, then you might want to put some card between the sticks so you don't jam them together while you're making the rivet.

without knowing your height, i'd say about 36" for the sticks is a good starting number. spikes on the bottom don't have to be enourmous, just enough to grip. but be aware they make using the sticks on rock difficult, but they do save the feet from a lot of wear.

hope that helps.

My sticks were simple and only took maybe 30 min to put together. I just drilled a hole in both sticks where I wanted them to pivot at and ran a leather shoelace through that hole. I then wrapped the lace around the sticks to bind them. At the top of the sticks I drilled holes to attach a leather thong to act as a sling to hold the rifle.

DSCN6460.jpg

DSCN6461.jpg

Trench said:
My sticks were simple and only took maybe 30 min to put together. I just drilled a hole in both sticks where I wanted them to pivot at and ran a leather shoelace through that hole. I then wrapped the lace around the sticks to bind them. At the top of the sticks I drilled holes to attach a leather thong to act as a sling to hold the rifle.

DSCN6460.jpg

DSCN6461.jpg

i like, my friend, i like. how long are those? might make a pair, meself...

Pom-pom, I made mine about like Trench's. Mine are 36" long and work well for sitting flat on the ground. But, if I were to make them again. I would make them 48" long, heck maybe 60" so I could sit on a 5gal bucket or even stand up. I mostly use mine for ground hog hunting and I am sitting flat on the ground.

These sticks are 34.5" in length. I started longer and them cut them down until they were the right length when shooting while sitting on my bottom.

Those look great Trench. It is kind of hard to tell on my computer but are they round? They look about 1/2 or 5/8 dia. Is that about right?

Thanks

:v They are as simple to make as the pictures show, I don't remember the length of mine, only that they were long enough for kneeling and adjustable for sitting as well. Ya pays yer money and takes yer cherce. :thumbsup:

Capt. Fred said:
Those look great Trench. It is kind of hard to tell on my computer but are they round? They look about 1/2 or 5/8 dia. Is that about right?

Thanks

I went with 1/2 inch dowel rod for my sticks. Their stained and I put a coat of poly on to help them hold up in weather.

No pictures but just think two sticks with a bolt through them to make an off centered x Short side on top. With a piece of leather to keep from maring your gun's finish. My self I prefer a walking stick type limb with a fork in it about half way between elbow and shoulder heigth. Since with my old back getting down on my knees is a problem, or I should say getting back up is a problem.,

ohio ramrod said:
No pictures but just think two sticks with a bolt through them to make an off centered x Short side on top. With a piece of leather to keep from maring your gun's finish. My self I prefer a walking stick type limb with a fork in it about half way between elbow and shoulder heigth. Since with my old back getting down on my knees is a problem, or I should say getting back up is a problem.,

the monopod idea is also quite valid. it's even faster than the paired sticks, and hey, it's got historical precedence i think. matchlock guns in the 13th or 14th century?

and if the crook is big enough and at the right height, it's a crutch!

I made a simple set a few years back. Some wood, screws for the leather straps, etc. I uses eyebolts and thumbnuts to tie them together, thinking that someday I'd find something more period appropriate, but at least it gives you an idea. Excuse the horrid photography. I had to shoot them in the yard and I couldn't see the viewscreen on the camera at all in the sun, so I just kinda pointed in the general direction and shot.

CIMG0191.jpg

CIMG0192.jpg

CIMG0193.jpg

Those are nice too Plink. Thanks for the pics.

Trench, thanks for the dimensions.

Thanks to the rest of you folks for all your info. I'm going to check around in the shop tomorrow night and see what I've got handy.

Try googlein up Varmit Als and see what you think of a Bi Fir Pod. I think very functional and home made too. Mac.

This is straying from the original post question about cross-sticks, but If you are looking to use a " Mono-pod", check out photographic equipment, or hiking equipment outdoor stores. I am using a telescoping aluminum monopod for camera use, as a hiking and tracking stick. Because it does telescope, I have also used it when my bum knee acts up so much I need a cane to get around for a day or two.

I usually cut a walking stick in the woods, and trim it of bark and to length, to use getting to and back from my stand, or in and out of up and down country. A walking stick can be used as a monopod standing, kneeling, and sitting. You might want to practice this, but its far more steady than shooting off-hand in any of the positions. It also is nice to have along when working through bramble, vines, and any other obstructions while hunting.

Having said that, the cross Sticks already pictured are great examples of what is made and used at shoots all over the country. Its the leather strap between the two uprights that allows the forestock to rest in the cross sticks without touching wood, or anything solid, which tends to throw your shot. How you hold the two together at their cross point is purely a matter of personal choice. Good luck on making your own.

I do recommend that you start out with longer than needed sticks, and then cut them down when you have a better idea of the height you actually will need in the kneeling position, and the sitting position. There are also Head-high three stick tripods being used for shooters to rest their forestocks on when hunting with guides. But, those are not used in any competition of which I am now aware.

Since my age and stiffness preclude me from getting down behind a pair of cross sticks (I was able to kneel behind them for a while) a friend gave me an idea that has worked..a pair of sticks long enough to stand up behind...I've used them once in a club match that specified cross sticks, and no one objected, and my score was much improved...Hank

standing sticks are a very nice thing. i've seen guides in alaska use them. my one complaint is the long length of the sticks might affect accuracy, both from having an unsteady base, and from the sticks wobbling, unless they were stiff enough to not.

I've seen videos of hunts in Africa that use sticks like that. I also saw one where the husband and wife were walking with the guide. The wife used a single pole type like Paul describes for photos and the husband used it to shoot the critter when they finally got close enough. It had some sort of button so it was instantly adjustable in height. They were traveling in tall grass so sitting wasn't an option.

I like the tall ones, made these and like them. Ya can add a third leg which really makes them stable.

shootingstix-1.jpg

shooting1.jpg

i've thought about making a tripod for a long time... i've tied field expedient ones for various reasons in the past.

it'd certainly be a stable shooting platform.

Latest posts

Back