• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the Kibler 50 at Water Jugs (Pic of not so round ball)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An animals chest cavity is not full of fluid. To use water jugs to simulate penetration is an apples to oranges comparison. One really needs a mud crusted, hair matted, thick leather hide over heavy, hard and thick ribs followed by nothing. Then reverse it all 20-24” away from the first (for hogs that is).
Walk

While I've found that a slower ball penetrates better on game, the fast up close ones work fine too even though they flatten out. Pure lead balls don't seem to disintegrate and fail to penetrate the way modern ammo sometimes does.

My approach is the same as Hanshi's.

While I've found that a slower ball penetrates better on game, the fast up close ones work fine too even though they flatten out. Pure lead balls don't seem to disintegrate and fail to penetrate the way modern ammo sometimes does.

My approach is the same as Hanshi's.
Here's a graph that shows how a roundball slows down when it's fired at different muzzle velocities. The dots on the left are muzzle velocities. Every dot to the right of them represent the velocity 20 yards further down range with the final dot on the right being a distance of 120 yards from the muzzle.

View attachment 68989

So I may just stick with the full 90 grains.

I usually shoot hogs around 150lbs or less. My son in the pictures like to kill massive hogs.

How often are you wiping your pan when hunting. Florida is pretty humid. I’m thinking about freshening powder every hour or so.

Latest posts

Back