• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

short Bess gets a fox.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good drills mate, I got a vixen with my Lyman Trade rifle, the .54 ball went in through the chest and exited through the saddle. Mind give me a shout when you want some balls sent
See you through the smoke
Reiver

It's not my assumption, but a well know fact, that the heavy load you said you used in taking that fox is a dangerous load in the thin wall chamber of the Brown Bess with the standard barrel.

I am first to say that I am no expert and someone here probably knows the chamber pressure generated (extremely high) from loads like you used. I've proof tested barrels with loads like that and did split the barrel and destroyed a nice old percussion double barrel shotgun with a double charged proof load, as I know others might have experienced with proofing a barrel or checking a antique for safety.

Not commenting on your post to put you down by any means, but to encourage you and others about such over-kill loading.

Rick

Back