• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haleh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had walked about a mile and didn't even make to my hunting area when this one walked out in front of me at about 60 yds. I usually don't get out to my hunting area until after daylight. The place I hunt in Grayson county Va. is full of deer. As I slipped up to the top of a hill, right before going in to a wooded area, I saw him walking through the woods. I knelt down next to a Christmas tree and squeezed off. After hitting him in the front shoulder I realized he had no idea where the shot came from and was running up the hill toward me. He fell about 20 feet away from me and died within a couple of minutes. I only had to drag him about 30 ft.(slightly down hill) to a place I could drive my truck to. It almost seemed too easy-but I'm not complaining.

2010FlintdeerMedium.jpg

H.Hale

that's the way to do it,we got a bull calf(moose) this year about 500 yards from the cabin on the way in this season, in a spot we could get it with the truck...some years are easier than others.

That's just outstanding...makes up for some of the long, hard, empty handed hunts...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Can you share some details about the Flintlock?

thanks for sharing. Have not shot a deer with a muzzle loader this year and wont if we don't buy a bigger freezer. Bow season has been very good to us. Son shot his first deer this year make three for the freeze early in the year. His new Penn. rifle needs to go for a walk in the woods. guess we just shoot them small and cook them whole.

Congrats very tasteful photo as well.

It's getting harder and harder to find deer wearing a hunting bag and powder horn, but you did it.

Nice hunt.

i know the only on I've seen dressed up was wearing a fence post and wire. had to put it down could not let it run into another fence and starve

The huntin' gods were smilin' on ya and all yer planets musta been aligned or somethin'! Some days it all falls together just right. :grin:
Grats! :thumbsup:

Excellent! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I'll take 'em like that all day long, right thoughtful of him to run toward the truck too. :grin:

Great deer. I live in souwthwest VA, is there much public land in Grayson co.

50 caliber roundball 70 grns 3F. 4F in the pan.

That's just outstanding...makes up for some of the long, hard, empty handed hunts...congratulations !Rounball, that is exactly what I thought!!

It's getting harder and harder to find deer wearing a hunting bag and powder horn, but you did it. Capper, :grin: :grin: "That was funny"

Great job! I'd love to hear about your gun and gear as well. Trench, that was the first pouch I made. I had no Idea what I was doing. When I make another one I'll change a few things. The horn was a small raw horn a friend gave me to practice on. I've made me another one since then, but I like this small one for hunting. The strap on the bag was my first attempt at card weaving. The rifle is one I had built by Jim Wheeler. Its a 50 with a rice barrel and Siler lock. I was wearing an orange toque, Knee breeches, high-low trekkers, leather leggins and an old brown hunting shirt.

Great deer. I live in souwthwest VA, is there much public land in Grayson co. I believe part of the Jefferson National Forest is in Grayson. I grew up there and have a few friends with some land they let me hunt. It's tough to find a place to hunt these days unless you have some connections.

Capper said:
It's getting harder and harder to find deer wearing a hunting bag and powder horn, but you did it.

Capper, What did you expect the deer to service that long rifle from? They ain't got pockets! :hmm:

:grin:

Good Hunt and nice write up!!

Nice Buck great job. Ya gotta love those short drags. Last year I shot one and it ran maybe 35 yards. It dropped right at the trail I bring my Jeep in. I gut it and literally just flipped it on the bumper rack. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back