• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Shorty" makes meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndhntr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished a project where I cut down the barrel on a TC Renegade to make a Carbine rifle (see my topic on the project in the Gun Builder's Bench "I bit the bullet..."). I just finished sighting it in yesterday and today I got to hunt with it. It was a very cold morning:
Frostymorning.jpg

...but it warmed up nicely by noon.

I saw a few deer in the morning but was unable to get a shot. By noon, I had worked my way up to the top of this peak:
PiperPeak.jpg

...and spotted this deer way down below. Using binocs it looked like it had antlers but I couldn't tell how big it was.
Spotdeerfromtop.jpg

There were 3 deer in the group. It took me probably 45 min. to get down to where I could track the deer. I found that the tracks split up. I lost the tracks of 2 of the deer but followed the other one until it dropped into a nasty canyon and I decided I didn't want to find it that bad. I eventually returned to where I lost the tracks of the other deer and just still-hunted through that area. I found the other 2 deer, 2 small bucks, right before dark. They spotted me and took off but made the mistake of looking back. I dropped to one knee and shot at the one that stopped broadside. Through the smoke, it looked like it dropped. I was surprised that I hit it because my rifle did a bit of a hangfire. The bullet caught it just in front of the shoulder. I stepped off the yardage at 85 yds.
CarbineDeer.jpg

Usually, I quarter the animal in the field but since it was getting dark and my deer was pretty small, I decided to slide it out the mile and a half like this:
deerdrag.jpg

Thats the way to start off the season! And that was a great shot! :thumbsup: 85 yards! Looks to cold for me, bloods to thin for that kind of weather, though it did look like it might have warmed up a bit during the day.

Well done!

I'm impressed that you were able to successfully test the gun so quickly after your work. Heck, some of my projects are still waiting years later! :grin:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: congrats on a fine succesful hunt.Story and pics were great. :applause: Griz

What a great day you must of had !
Cut down a renegade to a carbine ? Thought it already was ? :shocked2: Just kidding :v I almost did the same thing some yrs ago .
Congrats on your success .

Back