• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Loads for Fowlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me that he made his shot bags from used dryer static/ softner sheets. He tied them off with thread. I have yet to try this method. I never did ask him if he snipped off the tied end when he rammed it. Anyone ever try this? Kind of a novel idea as the sheets prevent static sparks and are still a bit oily.
WingHunter@Large

Results of my patterning experiments (long and 'windy')

My favorite flintlock firearm for upland birds is the Pedersoli Mortimer 12ga. fowling piece. I use it for turkey and to a lesser extent for pheasant and ducks. After considerable testing and patterning, I finally worked up a good patterning load that yields approximately a modified choke equivalent patterning at 30 yards. This is excellent patterning from a true cylinder bore, but the load is rather unorthodox and uses several modern components. It is loaded as follows:

1. Use no more than 75-80 grains of 2F blackpowder. Combined with a 1-1/4 to 1-5/16oz shot charge, this yields a rather slow moving load, likely under 1000 fps. However at the necessarily shortened range of 30 yards max, pellet velocity and penetration still seems adequate on turkey necks. It still penetrates a tin can at 30 yards. A greater powder charge yields erratic patchy patterns, often blown out in the center, regardless of the components I have tried.

2. I always start every blackpowder shotgun payload with a 1/8" card for gas sealing, followed by a generous kidney-bean sized dab of soft lube (usually Crisco or goose tallow), and followed by a 1/2" fiber wad. When pushing these wads down bore, this combination has an excellent cleaning function, so that repeated wiping of the bore is usually unnecessary. I have shot up to 15 repeated shots without wiping, with the last being nearly as easy to load as the first.

3. The payload consists of a plastic 3" steel shot cup with a 20ga. 1/2" fiber wad placed inside to take up excess space and provide cushioning. Some additional lube is wiped around the outside and into the base, and then it is placed into the muzzle and pushed down to slightly protruding from the end of the bore. Next a 1"x2" Mylar shot wrapper is inserted, with the adjoining edges centered inside one of the slit leafs of the shot cup, top centered within the bore. I have noticed a slightly elliptical shape to some patterns that follows the location of the Mylar shot wrap seam, which is why I top center it, parallel to a stretched out turkey neck. The shot cup is then pushed in 1/2" beyond the end of the bore and the shot charge is added. I prefer to use hardened and plated #6 lead shot for turkeys. Finally and optionally, buffer is added. Place your thumb over the end of the muzzle and shake and tap the barrel with your knuckles to settle the buffer into the load. Then add the over-shot card and push the whole charge firmly down onto the powder.

Both the steel wad and the shot wrapper contribute to the tighter patterns, the steel shot cup contributing somewhat more. The buffered patterns seem subjectively somewhat more even, with less patchiness. It is interesting that recovered shot cups do not have opened leafs, and that the shot wrappers often are found 10 yards or more down range. I speculate that the stiff shot cup simply keeps the load together for a couple of feet or more beyond the end of the muzzle, giving some protection from the escaping gases behind, which otherwise can blow through and disrupt an exposed shot column. Also it may be that the presence of the 20ga fiber wad in the back of the shot cup contributes to a forward center of gravity for the whole charge, making it more aerodynamically stable for the first couple of yards, until drag pulls the shot cup back from the shot charge.

This combination yields very even and tight patterns in the Mortimer. I have taken 3 turkeys with it the past two years. It is not a simple load and requires several non-primitive components. However it yields very consistent and even patterns from the cylinder-bored gun, and eliminates the need to have choking or choke tubes done. I do not use this load when hunting grouse or pheasants, as it is too troublesome to carry all the various components. For this I generally just use a normal plastic shot cup or card and fiber wads and keep my ranges short, but I find I must still keep the powder charge under 80 grains for decent patterns.

I think it might be interesting to experiment with unslit shot cups and try perhaps a 3-slit instead of the 4-slit, or perhaps shorten the slits somewhat to see if the patterns can be tightened up more. The use of Hevi-shot would likely produce a tighter pattern and gain a few more yards of effective range. However, I must say my real preference would be to forget all the above and go back to my old hornets-nest paper wadding and mix of soft lead #5,6,and 7-1/2 pellets, keep my range max inside of 25 yards, and spend enough extra time in the woods to get the opportunities to make up for the shorter range. Retirement beckons.

D Warner

WOW!!! I guess that's why choke boring was invented and it sure seems like a more practical alternitive to choke-up than to choose a "traditional" cylinder bore and then go through all sorts of convoluted and non-traditional loads to compensate for the lack of choke. :imo:

It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it. I tried all the patterning tightening ideas and though they worked, it wasn't needed. What you do need though, is to pattern you load,to know what amount of powder and shot works best. I log this info in a book and I create an index cards that go into my shooting bag for the load that works best. I have to, because I am shooting several guns and can't remember all their best loads. I only use a lubed 1/4" thick cushion, as a vehicle to get lube in the bore for fouling reasons. If I am turkey hunting I use NO cushion at all. If I am going to do allot of shooting, I use the lubed cushion that is 1/4" thick. I have shot litterly a 100 shots in an afternoon and couldn't tell the last reloading from the first load. Now, I will admit that I am no good shooting trap with cyl. bores from the 27yd. line either. But for hunting conditions and ranges, I am not afraid to swing and shoot.

EUREKA!! I've found it!!
Ever since this post first appeared I've pondered how it could work. Really, I guess I've pondered how could anyone believe it even might work. It seems clear that a nylon stocking would be abraded to bits by its passage up the bore and could thus offer no benifit to the pattern. If it were not destroyed in the barrel then how would it open to release the pellets on exiting the barrel? Most likely I'd expect the nylon would remain intact at top and bottom with a few threads remaining on the sides, thus releasing most pellets but retaining some and producing a ragged and clumpy pattern.
BUT NOW I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!
The instructions were incomplete. The all-important missing step is to pull a thread out and tie it off to the ramrod when loading. Thus when fired, that one thread will begin to unravel the whole bag, thus releasing the pellets about halfway to the target!!
Sure, that'll work!! Can't wait to hear from one who's tried it. I would but threw away all my nylons when I gave up bank robbery. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

....and as an added benefit, you'd have a game tracker string to find your game with! Maybe you could patent that idea!

LOL
Gene

Nawh, not bein' one of them greedy capitalist sorts, I offer this idea free to the world, my gift to mankind.
:bull: :bull: :haha: :haha:

Yeah, that was an old idea, Wheather or not it is a "solution" remains to be seen. It is apparent that the idea never caught on and I expect there was a good reason for that.
:haha: :haha: :haha: It didn't have a string to unravel. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I found that interesting. I was not aware of the mesh wire shot cup. Do ya suspose that's where the fellers got the idea of using a nylon stocking?

It seems there are very few ideas that are totally new :haha:

I still haven't tried that stocking thing yet, but I promise I will. If "cork" wads don't burn, and you have a good stout OP or Cushion Wad, I, personally, see no problem with the nylon stocking....other than learning how to secure the open end where it will still open. I have had paper cups that didn't open, until I started tearing the paper off and using a couple of OS wads.

Anyway, thanks for that little history lesson.

Russ

Blackpowder doesn't much like plastic. Blackpowder loads in plastic shotshells soften the case so that it won't hold a crimp after one or two reloadings. Plastic wads fired with blackpowder show a smearing of the surface which may be from heat or friction or both but black does degrade the plastic much more than smokeless. This even with a card OP wad under the plastic.
The material of a nylon stocking is but a minute fraction of the thickness of any plastic wad, it's way too much to hope that it would survive the ride up the bore, much less, that it would in any way protect the pellets inside.
Then, as you mention, if it could survive in the bore, what would cause it to open in the air?
I've never gotten patterns any better with plastic shot cups than with just good solid wading but if a pellet protector is wanted I'd think plastic much better than nylon stocking.
:imo:

Latest posts

Back