• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Placement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Going Hog Hunting this weekend.Using 54Cal.,Patch and Ball.

Where do I want to place my shot??

Blue Smoke

You taking a lawyer as a hunting partner? :grin: Seriously though, a brain shot should be good if the opportunity presents itself.

Blue Smoke...not goin' to the match in Old Mines on Saturday? Can't blame you, I'd rather go hog huntin' too.

Hogs are given way too much credit for being tough and mean, not that they aren't capable. I guess I spent too much time around them to give them the credit a lot of folks do. First thing a fella ought to remember is that we're smarter than the[url] pig....in[/url] most cases. They are DEFINITELY fun to hunt!! A shot with your 54 in heart/lung area is as good as any and better than most. It's certainly a lot bigger target then the brain of a hog. Any good, stout whitetail load will do the same thing to a pig it does to a deer.

Where ya gonna hunt 'em?

Vic

Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Smoke said:
Blue Smoke
Well, remember that the heart of a hog is located much further forward than the heart of a deer, and covered on both sides by shoulder/gristle plate/leg bone...a quartering away angle to slip the ball in from the side & behind traveling forward through the heart would be best for the heart IMO.

But if it was me, and I had a clear shot inside 40-50yds at a still hog, my first choice would be to put a ball between an eye & ear...YMMV

sharps4590 said:
Blue Smoke...not goin' to the match in Old Mines on Saturday? Can't blame you, I'd rather go hog huntin' too.

Where ya gonna hunt 'em?

Vic

Vic

Bunch of us are going up by Rolla.I was checking on places in Tennessee and Oklahoma.This by far is the best deal and its close to home.

I'll send you a Link.

Blue Smoke

roundball said:
Blue Smoke said:
Blue Smoke
Well, remember that the heart of a hog is located much further forward than the heart of a deer, and covered on both sides by shoulder/gristle plate/leg bone...a quartering away angle to slip the ball in from the side & behind traveling forward through the heart would be best for the heart IMO.

But if it was me, and I had a clear shot inside 40-50yds at a still hog, my first choice would be to put a ball between an eye & ear...YMMV
Yup...shot placement is everything!Roundball is correct. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back