• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Size For Pheasant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So what is your favorite magnum shot size for pheasant out of a 20 bore and why?

#5's seem to pattern very well in most BP smoothies.

Usually with BP most folks use one size larger shot than you would use with a modern shot shell.

#5's will get the job done.

You might want to try different wad combinations and see which setup your gun likes the best.

Many times there is a large difference in pattern density with different wad set ups.

Might want do a search on this site.

Smooth bore loads have been discussed here many times and there is some really good info to be had.

Good Luck.

I am using copper plated #5 shot , and the load is 1/18 oz of shot over 2 1/2 drams( 70 grains) of FFg powder. I found that the #5 has sufficient pellet energy at 30-35 yards to kill pheasants cleanly out of a cylinder bore gun. Beyond that the patterns get rather thin, and hitting a pheasant becomes problematic. The pellets hold enough energy to kill out to maybe 40 yards, and cripple at 45, but I like to hold my shots to 30-35 yards, if I can.

Read Bob spenser's Black Powder Notebook, both his article, and that by V.M. Starr on shotgun loads for various gauges. Its very educational, and you will probably be surprised that to get better patterns you use LESS powder, and less Velocity than what you might use in a shotgun with chokes.

Size 6 shot will give you more pellets and a better pattern. I have killed many turkeys with this size shot and out to 40 yards it can not be beatten.

MikeC said:
So what is your favorite magnum shot size for pheasant out of a 20 bore and why?
This site is an excellent read and very informative...I used his turkey shot load recommendation to take my first two flintlock turkeys this spring...1+5/8oz magnum #6s.
[url] http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html[/url]

After that experience and pattern testing other shot sizes, I'd go after pheasants with the same size shot charge but I'd use Lubaloy (copper plated) #6's...(Midway carries 10 lb bags)''The copper plating reduces pellet deformation resulting in tighter patterns which will add a few more yards to your effective range...and the copper plating aids greatly in penetration...slips through feathers easier than raw lead.

So you get a better longer range pattern AND penetration you'd normally get by dropping down to #5's and don't sacrifice any pellet count in the process. The only other consideration would be if you knew ahead of time the pheasants where you'll be hunting will be long range flushing birds to begin with, then you might want to drop down to Lubaloy copper plated #5's and get the double benefit of even longer range from the heavier shot.

I also experimented with 1+5/8oz copper plated #4's as a squirrel load...shot one at 25 yards and after the smoke cleared he was nowhere in sight...I walked to the stump he had hopped up on and he was laying behind it dead as dead with 6-7 #4's through him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd use some hard #6 shot. Copper plated or nickle plated would be good, but will also cost a lot more. Hard or mag #6 will be good enough out to where your gun starts to loose it's pattern, which I'd guess will be within 40 yds in most cases. With #6 shot you get more pellets. I've shot a lot of birds with size 6 shot. This is now my prefered shot size for turkeys too. Of the 46 turkeys I've taken over the years most have been taken with size 6. In the days when lead shot was still ok for ducks my Dad started me hunting with #6 too. Early in the pheasant season or on a bird farm where the shooting is close size 6 is what I use. If I think the birds are going to be a bit wild, and shots longer I might go with size 5's.

Back