• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shotgun chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is the choke for muzzleloading shotguns the same as modern shotgun chokes? what im getting at i have a chart for choke diamiters of modern shotguns & want to know if they are the same as muzzleloader shotgun barrels? anyone have a chart for muzzleloader chokes? thanks & happy trails

Most reproduction muzzleloaders use the same contemporary method as breach loaders.
Some use the recess choking which works with similar values but in reverse....if that makes sense!

They may be the same but I think you will get some comments explaining they are not traditional and should not be allowed to be discussed the same has breech loaders and in lines
Feltwad

is the choke for muzzleloading shotguns the same as modern shotgun chokes? what im getting at i have a chart for choke diamiters of modern shotguns & want to know if they are the same as muzzleloader shotgun barrels? anyone have a chart for muzzleloader chokes? thanks & happy trails
Choke sizes are the same regardless of shotgun.
shotgun choke size.PNG

Most reproduction muzzleloaders use the same contemporary method as breach loaders.
Some use the recess choking which works with similar values but in reverse....if that makes sense!
The recess choking or jug choking will result in choked patterns consistent with restrictive barrel diameters at the muzzle and allow for easy loading of both shot and round ball charges.

Without a cup wad the pattern will still be different to an extent, as the shot in the cup is not squeezed through the constriction, just the loose shot. Pattern to be sure. My 20b SxS measures what would be IC/Mod but patterns a loose a tight IC and a tight Mod. I thought it would be reverse, but the patterns are consistent.

When I talk chokes, I use the standard language. There is no reason to be confusing. When I talk about choke, I talk about choke, not the pattern that it throws. The principle is simple, bore diameter constricting down to a smaller diameter. That difference is the amount of constriction AKA choke. Say 12 gauge, .730" bore, has a choke down to .710". That's .020" or modified choke. I don't differentiate by gauge, only constriction. There is an entire black art to choke design involving the taper and the constricted parallel section length. Technically jug chokes have two parallel sections that could effect patterns. Speaking of jug chokes, most of them are worked into straight cylinder bores, but not all. In a jug choke, the initial bore diameter is not a factor. The factors are the large diameter of the jug choke, and the constriction. Lets say you have a 12 gauge straight cylinder bore, but you jug choke it. Say the jug measures .750", and it constricts back down to .730". That is a constriction of .020" or modified choke.

This is the general guideline for constriction I use for defining all chokes, in all firearms, of all gauges. There are common names for chokes between what I list.

Cylinder - .000"
Imp Cyl - .010"
Modified - .020"
Full - .035"
Turkey - Anything .045" and tighter

Back