• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgunin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullofthewoods

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello

I am newer to muzzeloading and enjoy hunting deer with my 50 cal rifle. I can't believe I ever hunted deer with a centerfire! I also enjoy upland (pheasant, grouse), but have never tried to do it BP style. I would really like to get a double barreled BP shotgun. My question is: What would you all recommend for a beginner, i.e. gauge, brand, etc. I don't want to spend a billion dollars, I want a traditional looking, percussion, side by side that is more or less economical ~500$? Any help is much appreciated.

Bull

for what you describe i guess it would be a cabellas sxs. they let you return the gun if you have problems.. i had a lot of problems with my 10 gauge pedersoli. but that is what happens when you buy a cheap gun.. be sure to check it to make sure that it will shoot on target with both barrels.. you can adjust the cheek possition to get both to the correct impact but what you need is the open choke to cover the tight chokes pattern.. ic and full is best in my opinion so screw in chokes will work for this.. and it will take some questions later on on how to load tight chokes from the muzzel.. if your after geese id go with the 10 guage, if pheasants and ducke sized critters id go with the 12.. you can always load them down.. the 10 is not a heavy gun, its not light tho either.. the main point if the barrels shoot within 3 inches of center at 40 yards KEEP IT. all other work can be done by a gun smith, unless somehting seriously wrong with chokes or cracked stock or something.. trigger work and small stuff like that can be done locally and you will probably need some of that sooner or later as they use soft steel and they are made cheap to get out more product.. if you can find a manton or somesuch in good shape at a gun show or whereever by all means have it checked by a gunsmtih and buy it.. down the road abit you will probably want a single shot smoothbore 20,16,12 guage flintlock but the sxs is a meat getter. and will chuck a tone of bismuth at expensive rates... no, steel shot wont work well.. dave.

We just recently had this exact discussion, and I think the best answer is to do a search on "Tamara", as she is the person we helped out with her first shotgun, which I believe was a Cabela's 12 guage. You should find most if not all your answers there. And if you want more ask away. Bill

bullofthewoods said:
I also enjoy upland (pheasant, grouse), but have never tried to do it BP style. I would really like to get a double barreled BP shotgun. My question is: What would you all recommend for a beginner, i.e. gauge, brand, etc.

Bull, I would like to pass this on to you from a safety point of view...

When using double barreled shotguns, if you only shoot one side and then decide to reload it before you continue hunting, please un-prime the loaded barrel first...

No need to place your hand (and possibly body) over a loaded and primed barrel, it's not worth the cost of a percussion cap or a few grains of priming powder...

It is also good practice to recheck the loaded side with the ramrod before priming/re-priming, sometimes a loosely fitting shot column can move forwards under recoil...

You should find some info and a couple good links here.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/191223[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedersoli's ain't cheap, in price or quality.Or you might be on the look out for an original sxs. I have 2 English with damascus barrels,black powder and lead shot only. I gave under $200 each and have shot many pounds of shot out of them..A CVA Trapper single barrel is an OK reasonably priced single barrel.I'd like to have more,for teaching muzzleloading shotgun shooting, good luck.........OLSON

Yes, I have given that some thought. The only reason for me to reload barrel at this point, at my experience level, would be if both barrels were fired. I also don't want to shoot my eye out! I want the double simply for those doubles that flush or to give myself more time between reloads. I may go a few hours before shooting twice in the field. My main reason for shooting BP style isn't for rapid successive fires and reloads or getting "competetive" about hunting, its mainly for returning some "intimacy", for a lack of a better word, to the sport. I think of two barrels as a way to increase time between reloading only, hopefully, if I don't miss alot that is. Thanks for the safety tip, you can never be too careful especially since I am new to the BP shotgun. Thanks to eveybody else for the advice!

Bull

:hatsoff:

I've spent many a day in the field with my New Englander single, it's one of my favorites, and I have quite a few doubles. Something about having one shot gives me a calming effect....Pete

I've got a pedersoli 12 ga sxs and I love the heck out of it. If I had to do it over again I might buy the 10 gage instead then again I've never had the oportunity to shoot the 20 gage it may be a winner too .

bullofthewoods said:
Hello

I am newer to muzzeloading and enjoy hunting deer with my 50 cal rifle. I can't believe I ever hunted deer with a centerfire! I also enjoy upland (pheasant, grouse), but have never tried to do it BP style. I would really like to get a double barreled BP shotgun. My question is: What would you all recommend for a beginner, i.e. gauge, brand, etc. I don't want to spend a billion dollars, I want a traditional looking, percussion, side by side that is more or less economical ~500$? Any help is much appreciated.

Bull

I'm a beginner as you and I had the same questions.
Friends of mine let me shoot at trap by double and single. I choose Mortimer Pedersoli percussion.
I think that in future I shall buy also flintlock Mortimer, because flintlock is a poetry.
Hunting BP seems to me as drive a vintage motorbike.It's important the way, not purpose.
Ciao,
Franco

Back